Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default Jam nuts :(

I am about ready to start a movement like Nancy Reagan's "just say No to drugs", only mine is going to say "Just say NO to loose jamnuts!"

I thought I had started a thread on this some time ago, but I can't find it right now, so you get to hear me again.

I performed a prebuy on an RV-10 today that has been flying for 8 years. So that's an Airworthiness inspection, and at least 7 Condition Inspections, and amongst the 800 hours, hopefully some preflights.

I found 7 loose jamnuts on the tail surfaces! They had never been tightened, as there was no scoring on the mating surfaces. I just reached in with my fingers and turned them.

So, please go check your jamnuts on your next preflights. This is a high stress area to begin with, with a SB even being issued across most of the models for cracking around the nutplate rivets. Perhaps someone on this forum can set up a poll that says "I have checked my aircraft jamnuts." It would be interesting to see if we could achieve 100% in the next year.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com

Last edited by vic syracuse : 06-04-2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added text
Old 06-04-2018, 06:10 PM

The temptation might be to look at this as an issue of the jam nuts preventing the rod ends from unthreading themselves. You'd see that the angle brackets on the stabilizer prevent the rod end from turning very far, decide that the jam nuts have no particular purpose, and carry on.

However, what the jam nuts actually do is apply clamping pressure that helps transfer bending loads from the shank of the rod end into the control surface of the spar. In the absence of this clamping pressure, all that's resisting the bending loads are a couple of wimpy AN427AD3 rivets, and these rivets react the bending loads in tension. And rivets, especially when there's only one or two of them, are not all that good at reacting tension.

Once those tiny rivets break, the control surface has a lot of play to move out of plane. And that's very bad from a flutter perspective.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kuykendall View Post
The temptation might be to look at this as an issue of the jam nuts preventing the rod ends from unthreading themselves. You'd see that the angle brackets on the stabilizer prevent the rod end from turning very far, decide that the jam nuts have no particular purpose, and carry on.

However, what the jam nuts actually do is apply clamping pressure that helps transfer bending loads from the shank of the rod end into the control surface of the spar. In the absence of this clamping pressure, all that's resisting the bending loads are a couple of wimpy AN427AD3 rivets, and these rivets react the bending loads in tension. And rivets, especially when there's only one or two of them, are not all that good at reacting tension.

Once those tiny rivets break, the control surface has a lot of play to move out of plane. And that's very bad from a flutter perspective.

Most excellent drawing to go with explanation. I have sketched many such drawings on my whiteboard to visualize what is really happening.
Based at 1H0 (Creve Coeur)
Paid dues yearly since 2007

Last edited by plehrke : 06-04-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:51 PM

reminds me of a jammin song. think of this when you check your nuts.

https://youtu.be/EtTRAk7iQnA

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 06-04-2018, 07:33 PM

While I’ve taken these warning to heart and check the jam nuts on every preflight, I appreciate the helpful discussion and drawings of what’s really going on. It’s always good to understand the “why.”
Old 06-04-2018, 07:42 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kuykendall View Post

Given that explanation, wouldn't a regular washer under the jam nut be a good idea?
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 06-04-2018, 08:53 PM

Vic, I have found the same thing on several occasions. When I preflight I often check the jam nuts. Not every time, but regularly, and every time on a plane I havenít flown before.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:54 PM

I do a visual on the jam nuts before every flight in my Cherokee. I don't always check them with my fingers though. It looks like it would be a good practice.
2018 dues paid
Old 06-05-2018, 05:08 AM

On my inboard gear door - a high vibration area on takeoff - I found a loose jamb nut which allowed the rod end to partially unscrew. I didn't notice it but my tail-cam video showed that the door wasn't closing all the way. I'll be adding that to my preflight checklist.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:34 AM

Default Loose nuts

Isn't everyone using a torque seal after torquing their fasteners? I would think that it's an excellent way to indicate that the fastener has been torqued and whether it has moved since then. Check and retorque at annual and reseal with a new color.
paid 'til 10-18
Closed Thread