What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview Touch?

ron sterba

Well Known Member
EMS leads one & two for 12volt identifications. Where did you connect to? I received several thoughts. Mine thought connect to power tab on back of a landing,taxi,nav light switch or flap switch. Pros or cons I?ll consider all. Never did connect volts lead just amps lead from alternator. Because if alternator fails you want to know now, and that the battery is now on its own and won?t last very much longer. Looking at the volts May give you a false sense of security for a few valuable moments as I was told. Thanks

Ron in Oregon
RV9A flying, check VANS first flights.

EMS leads one & two for 12volt identifications. Where did you connect to? I received several thoughts. Mine thought connect to power tab on back of a landing,taxi,nav light switch or flap switch. Pros or cons I?ll consider all. Never did connect volts lead just amps lead from alternator. Because if alternator fails you want to know now, and that the battery is now on its own and won?t last very much longer. Looking at the volts May give you a false sense of security for a few valuable moments as I was told. Thanks

Ron in Oregon

Your low voltage alarm (if set to something reasonable like 13 vdc) will tell you within a couple of seconds if your alternator fails. I no longer install current shunts. I find voltage to be the best indicator of system health - but no harm if you want current indication as well.

The two voltage inputs come in handy if you run split avionics busses. If you have just one battery, pick one and connect it to you main buss. Configure the EMS display accordingly.

Carl

Ron in Oregon

I have mine connected to each of my batteries.

Simply connect it to your main power bus.

You can set up the colored indicators on the Skyview widget to change color when the voltage drops from a charging voltage - green at 14.1v - to a fully charged battery under a light load - yellow at 13v. A good indication of alternator failure or being off-line.

Pick numbers to suit your battery/charger combination.

Your low voltage alarm (if set to something reasonable like 13 vdc) will tell you within a couple of seconds if your alternator fails. I no longer install current shunts. I find voltage to be the best indicator of system health - but no harm if you want current indication as well.

Carl

Unless you are running one of the new lithium batteries - in which case voltage is very stable (and relatively high) even under a good discharge.

Simply connect it to your main power bus.

You can set up the colored indicators on the Skyview widget to change color when the voltage drops from a charging voltage - green at 14.1v - to a fully charged battery under a light load - yellow at 13v. A good indication of alternator failure or being off-line.

Pick numbers to suit your battery/charger combination.
This is exactly what I did for my EMS pin#1, connected to my main power bus. But since I only have one battery, I used pin #2 differently.

I connected pin #2 directly to where power connects to my electrical fuel boost pump. Then I set a button to be BLACK when under 1v and turn BLUE if over 1v. So when the electrical fuel boost pump is "OFF" the button is BLACK. When the electrical fuel boost pump is "ON" the button turns BLUE. I used BLUE since Avgas is blue but you can use any color.

You can see the button showing the fuel boost pump (FUELPM) is off in this photo.
N819PR1088hrs-EMS.jpg

In this photo you can clearly see the electric fuel boost pump is "ON".
Havana%20Flight%20Small.jpg

I can't tell you how many times this has prevented me from forgetting to turn the boost pump "off" after changing tanks, or worse, forgetting to turn the boost pump "on" prior to take off. Just my 2cents.

:cool:

Last edited:
I like the ideas. Non have come up in my local conversations so these all are great �� ideas and I will use the thoughts.Galin nice �� on the boost pump. Greg I have the Oddesy battery from Vans. Did learn that that battery has a 100% replacement for two years. Mine went bad after one year. They can be bought thru batteries plus. Ask for a price match with on line$. Not freight was charged.thanks Gil I’ll set it up that way.��thanks Carl. Definitely something to think about. Thanks much appreciated.

Ron in Oregon
RV9A flying

Back