VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-22-2009, 05:13 PM

Default Force of Habit?

I have a D100 with traditional 3 1/8" "steam" ASI and ALT mounted either side of it for redundancy. When I fly I always use the steam gauges for speed and altitude and not the vertical ribbons on the EFIS. As I make my turn on to final I'm always glancing at the ASI and not the EFIS. Similarly when I level from a climb I focus on the ALT and not the EFIS. I do use the EFIS VSI numbers though, and its AI, and DI and TAS but these are hardly necessary for VFR.

Are steam gauges easier to fly by or am I just an old dog?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1
Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 PM

Default Maybe, maybe not

How ya like that answer I think it depends on what you are use to flying with. We flew for many years with just the analog gauges. I find that the EFIS display can give me a lot more information about what is going on than what I use to get from steam gauges. I use the trend indicators and the velocity vector a lot on the EFIS panels. Over the outer marker, I can set 3 deg down on the velocity vector and pretty much stay on glide slope. The trend indicators for the airspeed clue me in as to whether I have the power set about right or not. When I'm leveling off from a climb or descent, i just set the velocity vector on the horizon. Works like magic. Hope this helps.
Flying
Old 10-22-2009, 06:08 PM

Smile

You are just an old dawg

Milt Concannon
Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM

A friend of mine just built his second RV-9. The first one had a D10 with airspeed and alititude on either side. He said he always looked at them rather than the EFIS. He said when they're there it's hard not to look at them. His second RV-9 just put a D120 in the panel - no analog gauges. But with the new panel, he never misses them.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 PM

Default Woof woof...

I'm an old dog too as I use the steam gauges as well.

As for the VSI, I never understood why people add those for backup instruments. The only VSI display I have on my D100 is the tape on the right side and then I only look at it when I'm doing some testing.

However, in level flight I tend to use the Dynon's altitude more often and the TAS numbers.

Truth is, if I were building today, I would not bother installing those steam gauges. If I flew IFR, those round gauges would probably be right where they are.

I think the reason I use them is old habits and I feel they are just a little easier to interpret. That and I put the AS in the upper left corner of the panel, right where I look when landing and the altimeter is just below that and I still wouldn't bother with a VSI.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 10-22-2009, 06:17 PM

Default Not habit, ease of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharkey View Post
When I fly I always use the steam gauges for speed and altitude and not the vertical ribbons on the EFIS.
Same with me. The steam gauges are visual indicators and therefore easier to read at a glance. I find that you need to stop and read the EFIS.

Since I'm a VFR pilot I spend nearly all of my time with my eyeballs looking out and about. I only briefly scan the instruments to make sure every things still ok. I have the AF-2500 engine monitor and love the gauge/bar readouts for the same reason.

Getting even more old school...I can tell you what my plane is doing just by the sights/sounds/control feel...no gauge reading necessary.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:17 PM

Default I'll try....

....blanking out the steam gauges as an experiment and see how it feels

Jim Sharkey
Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharkey View Post
....blanking out the steam gauges as an experiment and see how it feels

Jim Sharkey
That's what you're gonna have to do to get yourself reading the EFIS - the steam gauges are just very familiar to your brain, so that is what you interpret first. Interestingly enough, the EFIS presentation itself makes a difference. With the original GRT EFIS airspeed and ASI tapes, I never used them. When they came up with the new style display, my eyes were drawn to them much more easily, I use the steam gauges much less now than I did before - but it takes training.

Covering them is a good idea if you want to retrain your brain - and it is worth it!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 10-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

After flying 30 years behind steam gauges I switched to flying with a glass panel 5 years ago. It was love at first sight and I never looked at the back-up steam gauges again. I was 60 years old at that time and found the EFIS much easier to fly with from the get-go. I had familiarized myself with the EFIS and it's functions during the panel building and set-up process so I was comfortable with it from the first flight.

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 10-22-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
That's what you're gonna have to do to get yourself reading the EFIS - the steam gauges are just very familiar to your brain, so that is what you interpret first. Interestingly enough, the EFIS presentation itself makes a difference. With the original GRT EFIS airspeed and ASI tapes, I never used them. When they came up with the new style display, my eyes were drawn to them much more easily, I use the steam gauges much less now than I did before - but it takes training.

Covering them is a good idea if you want to retrain your brain - and it is worth it!

Paul
Jim,

As I read the thread, I thought about suggesting covering the steam ASI, but read further and see you're already on it. I'd concur with Paul...that'd be the way to retrain the "meat servo control center"...and the eyeballs as well.

Paul's post also brought up another thought: Do you have the D100 set to "modern" display or the earlier style display? You might try going to the "modern" selection in the menu, and seeing if that isn't easier to look at and have it register more quickly. I find I like the modern display much better (FWIW).

Once you work with it for a bit, you may very well find yourself picking up data and trends just as quickly (perhaps more so) than from the steam, and you may find you really like the nice tight scan the EFIS provides.

Even old dawgs learn new tricks (AMHIK!)

Cheers,
Bob
Sport Class Air Racing "Race 49"
SARL "Race 49"
West Coast Ravens FFI RV Formation Squadron
APRS Track