What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECI Engine Ordering: No crankcases available

389JM

I thought it would be a good idea to pass on some information I received direct from my engine supplier and ECI themselves. There are no crankcases available at this point in time or in the near future. ECI is in the process of working with a new machine shop to machine their crankcases. However, the transition period is not complete nor is known when it will be.

This information could be very useful for those considering an engine order. I wish I had known this when I placed my engine order.

I received word from Tim Morland, ECI Western Territory Manager, that progress is being made on the crankcase issue.

However, for me, I am a bit nervous. I ordered an unassembled kit not knowing that this crankcase issue existed. I am not sure if it is such a good idea to go the 'unassembled' kit route with unproven first run crankcases.

Maybe it would be smarter, and safer, to have my engine supplier assemble the engine and run it. That way any potential problems could be flushed out during a professional assembly/run in.

Any feedback by you all is appreciated.

Competition

What a bummer, superior out, eci having issue. All plays into lyco raising prices. The competion got us great improvements and better prices....hope something brings that back soon.
Still havent pulled the trigger.

I received word from Tim Morland, ECI Western Territory Manager, that progress is being made on the crankcase issue.

However, for me, I am a bit nervous. I ordered an unassembled kit not knowing that this crankcase issue existed. I am not sure if it is such a good idea to go the 'unassembled' kit route with unproven first run crankcases.

Maybe it would be smarter, and safer, to have my engine supplier assemble the engine and run it. That way any potential problems could be flushed out during a professional assembly/run in.

Any feedback by you all is appreciated.

Be sure to have it test run on on a jig.

ECI has a nice 3 year warranty.

Thanks Chris. I decided to let my engine supplier assemble and test run the engine. How far along in the build are you? Have you run into anything unique with respect to the ECI engine and the 7A?

I have a ECI 360 crank case that I bought 5 years ago. I haven't put it together yet and wondering if I should be worried when I do? Why did they decide to stop production? Is there a problem with the previous crank cases?

I have a ECI 360 crank case that I bought 5 years ago. I haven't put it together yet and wondering if I should be worried when I do? Why did they decide to stop production? Is there a problem with the previous crank cases?

I would NOT be worried. They did not puposely decide to stop production. Production stopped due to the fact that the crankcases were being machined by a machine shop that was part of the automotive slow down. The shop changed owners and is attempting to start production again. If anything, you have a crankcase that I would feel comfortable using on my engine. Hope this helps.

crank production

I am working with America's Aircraft Engines in Tulsa on my engine build. At Sun 'n Fun I talked with them and ECI at their booth. I was informed at that time there was an issue with crankcase supply. At the time I was a little disappointed as I had plans to pay for my engine during Sun 'n Fun. As it turns out, in the grand scheme of things with my build, I had time to wait.

My understanding of the whole situation; the crank manufacturer had financial issues associated with producing products for the auto industry that in turn affected their ability to produce crank cases for ECI. I don't think there will be an issue with any cranks due to this in terms of quality. I believe this is a situation where the manufacturer has ironed out their financial issues and has now started their production line up again.

In the past week I have talked with Richard Fowler at America's Aircraft Engines. He has told me that the manufacturer has begun production again so I should be able to get my crank case in a couple of weeks.

Again, based on the communications I have had with ECI and Richard Fowler, this shortage does not have anything to do with shifting production from one manufacturer to another nor does it have to do with any quality problems associated with the production of the crank case itself. It is just another example of the domino effect that can occur when a major industry in the economic landscape of the American economy begins to struggle. This will then affect other unrelated industries, which then affects other little guys like us who are depending on that industry to keep us moving along on a project like building an airplane in the garage.

Thanks Chris. I decided to let my engine supplier assemble and test run the engine. How far along in the build are you? Have you run into anything unique with respect to the ECI engine and the 7A?

I'm looking into Exhaust systems at Vetterman. Still a little confused, as there have been a few minnor issues w/ the cold air option, which appear to have work around.

Last edited:
Chris,

Your plane looks great. I love the blue!

The Vetterman exhaust looks like it could be the ticket. Thanks for the info and links.

Finally, after 3 months of parts delays, The engine has arrived :D

file.php

When I ordered my kit on 11/30/09, I was told 10-12weeks due to crankcase shortages. On Jan 1st I was told my engine is due to ship on 3/1/10 (13 weeks). That's next Monday. I'll let you know if they make it. It's been 12 weeks and counting.

Back