What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odd wing cuffs

[email protected]

I'm New Here
I just purchased an RV8, and have several questions. When I learn how to post a picture I will, but there are small wing cuffs attached to the fuselage right at the leading edge of the wing. I have flown other 8s without them. Are they of any use?

Strakes

I just purchased an RV8, and have several questions. When I learn how to post a picture I will, but there are small wing cuffs attached to the fuselage right at the leading edge of the wing. I have flown other 8s without them. Are they of any use?

Do a search for "strakes" here and you will find some information about these. Some have found that they reduce "tail shake" at stall onset and provide a slight reduction in stall speed.

Skylor

Hi Carl,
I'd like to install my strakes but couldn't find a template. can you gib´ve a hint where and how to position these things?
Regards from Bavaria
Stephan

I haven't heard about RV-8 strakes in years! Way back when, it was common for folks to put them on, but it seemed to be the consensus that the buffet on the tail (that was addressed by the strikes) only occurred to folks that had not yet installed gear leg upper fairings. Once those were installed, folks had no buffet, without the strakes. No one I know ever did a scientific determination of there being a downside to the strakes, but they essentially proved to be unnecessary if you had upper fairings installed.

Just my own experience - no strakes, no tail buffet in the stall, and have always flown with upper farinings.

Paul

Buffet before stall = stall warning...

I get a nice tail buffet about 2 kts before the stall with fairings installed.

I see it as a warning that I am very close to stall and am happy to leave it as is...

I get a nice tail buffet about 2 kts before the stall with fairings installed.

I see it as a warning that I am very close to stall and am happy to leave it as is...

Same here, and I too consider it a Good Thing.

I think this is a crossover from the aerobatic guys.

Things like DR107's had bad buffet at higher G which was reduced by similar strakes.

At our modest operating envelope I doubt they would be of any use other than to mask the upcoming stall which is a bit odd, as others have stated.

Buffet

I don't have them, but want to install them. Anyone know where to get them? I get a pop of the canopy skirt at about 4 "g" that gets stronger at higher weights. I'm thinking these will stop that.

Back