What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Box Countersink Question

cwharris

Can someone explain how we are suppose to Machine Countersink the clouded holes? Even if you have an extension you cant get past the bent flange. The flange is covering the holes.

Thanks

fvww08.jpg

Before I decided to just dimple everything I figured that the right angle drill set would accept the countersink cutter. No depth stop with that but using a slow electric drill the countersink can be made.

I think if I did mine again I would try to dimple, my countersinks there at the bottom are not something I am really proud of but they are safe and get covered by the battery anyways... I tried to bent the front flange away so I could use the extension and the back side would then be forced up causing the surface to not be flat anymore and the resulting countersinks to be a little on the wobbly side.

Do it by hand

There are a few places that it is easiest to simply remove the countersink from all tools and twist it by hand. The aluminum is pretty soft it does not take that long.

90 deg drill

i used a 90 deg drill to do mine you can just thread the piloted countersink bit into the drill. However a good 90 deg drill is expensive. There are other areas in the kit they are helpfull for though.

Battery Box C/sink

i used a 90 deg drill to do mine you can just thread the piloted countersink bit into the drill. However a good 90 deg drill is expensive. There are other areas in the kit they are helpfull for though.

Thanks for the tip I used my Cleveland tools angle drill attachment it worked fine set the battery drill at a slow speed then steadily cut the sinks
really happy with the result.
:)

Back