VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-29-2008, 05:59 PM

Unhappy Talked to Dan Stewart

Ok, I talked to Dan today, sent him pictures, and we have a preliminary plan.

From what he's doing, I think he suspects contaminated primer somehow. He's sending a new quart to try. We shall see. He found that the color would lay down over the bare metal, but not over the primer, very odd.

I have put down some other paints over the primer, all seems well. Tough as heck too. Cheapo spray enamel over the Stewart primer seems VERY TOUGH.

As I suspected, I had tried about every reasonable, as well as some crazy permutations of materials, prepping, techniques, etc.

Rick
Old 09-29-2008, 06:32 PM

Default John:Short course!!!!

Hi John

Thanks for the offer but......if your process isn't a tight trade secret how bout a short course in how you get that fiberglass ready for paint.

I would also like to have some info on minimizing or eliminating the orange peel effect as the painting is being done!!!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... trying to paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterJohn View Post
I do TONS of fiberglass work, and i have to say Vans cowls are some labor intensive parts, prolly the most labor intensive i have ever encountered... Heck even drag car fiberglass isnt as bad as these things :-D

However.. Id be happy to finish yalls cowlings, and other fiberglass if you would like. Oviously there would be a fee for this.. but given the frustration and aggrivation it might be appealing to some people..

I have done several sets for my customers over the years, they ship the parts to me, i make them slick, and pin hole free, prime, fill, and paint them single stage (usually white or dove grey) inside and out, and ship them back.

I can modify, the parts anyway you need, I can also repair them. The only thing i cant do is make the final fit... unless i have your plane too.
Cheers
John

Last edited by fstringham7a : 09-29-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:25 PM

Orange peel can be caused by overly thick paint, but is more likely poor spray technique. As the paint leaves the gun it gets broken up into fine mist, but as it moves farther away it starts to come back together into little globules. It is possible that you are too far from the surface or have too much material coming through the gun. Spray a test pattern on a clean surface and look at the quality of the pattern around its perimeter. Is it foggy (good) or more like a whole bunch of small individual specks (bad)? A little more air and a little less paint might help.
Rag and tube project well under way

paid =VAF= dues through June 2013
Old 12-26-2009, 12:37 PM

Default What is the end of this story.

Quote:
From what he's doing, I think he suspects contaminated primer somehow. He's sending a new quart to try. We shall see. He found that the color would lay down over the bare metal, but not over the primer, very odd.
I've used Stewart System Primer on my interior and now want to finish the interior with Stewart System Ekocoat 1 part paint but saw this thread. Wow. What did Dan discover? I'm I screwed for having used their primer? Was the batch of primer really bad?
What is the end of this story? Iím now thinking Iíll not paint the interior at all. Just live with the Stewart System primer smoke gray interior. I know itís not a tough finish but I sure donít want to screw it up.