- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmills View Post
Jim,

As I read the thread, I thought about suggesting covering the steam ASI, but read further and see you're already on it. I'd concur with Paul...that'd be the way to retrain the "meat servo control center"...and the eyeballs as well.

Paul's post also brought up another thought: Do you have the D100 set to "modern" display or the earlier style display? You might try going to the "modern" selection in the menu, and seeing if that isn't easier to look at and have it register more quickly. I find I like the modern display much better (FWIW).

Once you work with it for a bit, you may very well find yourself picking up data and trends just as quickly (perhaps more so) than from the steam, and you may find you really like the nice tight scan the EFIS provides.

Even old dawgs learn new tricks (AMHIK!)

Cheers,
Bob
It's the modern display.

btw - It doesn't bother me that I paid for the EFIS but still use the steam gauges. The EFIS has many other useful features. I just wondered what others' experience was
Old 10-23-2009, 11:29 AM

You know, we sell a few nice instruments to plug up the ASI and Altimeter holes if you want to do that
Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynonsupport View Post
You know, we sell a few nice instruments to plug up the ASI and Altimeter holes if you want to do that
Thanks for thinking about me

The D100 is great but so far I have just been using it as a big AI/DI nestled comfortably between a conventional ASI and ALT. I need to get up to speed with its other features.

Jim Sharkey
Old 10-23-2009, 12:10 PM

Default Round gauges on MGL EFIS

Iím sort of an old dawg myself but I like messing with technology. Hereís my plan. Iím getting an MGL Odyssey or Voyager EFIS and Iíll configure it to display round gauges for AS and ALT. You can download the panel planner software from the MGL site and design away. The panel design software also includes a simulator so you can see all your custom gauges in action. Iíve done this and it all actually works. Itís cool. You can get very creative. Itís fun.

You can use MGLís primitive drawing routines to make a round gauge or import a picture of a round gauge minus the hands. Then overlay the hands on the gauge picture. You can custom design 9 screens and switch between them with a push of a button. Each screen you design is a file that you can share with your friends. Itís cool. If you donít like what you see on the EFIS, change it. I think MGL is the only EFIS that you can totally custom design.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglaeser View Post
The steam gauges are visual indicators and therefore easier to read at a glance. I find that you need to stop and read the EFIS.
EXACTLY!!!

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 10-23-2009, 01:28 PM

It's not that we're old dogs - if so we wouldn't have bought an EFIS in the first place. Old dogs learn new tricks BETTER than young pups, because we have a finer appreciation of a new trick.

The issue is that we also know we have a limited number of new memories we can store, and thus do not bother with new memories when the old ones are perfectly functional.

It's time for my nap now...