What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camera Options

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
Wife wants to buy me something for Christmas which means I need to buy something for the airplane and thank her for it. Considering a camera that can be used inside and outside the airplane. There are a lot of options, not looking for the best or the worst just a good reliable camera, looking for feedback.

Pat

Sounds like you're looking for a small point-and-shoot with a wide angle (24mm or 28mm). All the big manufacturers make them. I've owned a lot of Canon cams over the years, but I recently bought Sony action cam I am happy with. I'm sure their are Nikon fans too.

Virb

I'm using the Garmin Virb 30 Ultra. It will do 4K and I have it set to 1080P with image stabilization. That works out pretty well. I have it quick release mounted to the slider rail above baggage and bought a cable to run external battery and to plug into the intercom. Nflight makes a ball and socket mount that you can place externally on the airframe. Sporty's sells it. Neutral density filter is good for making that weird prop effect disappear. The aviation bundle that Garmin sells comes with the filter, but their intercom cable doesn't provide for external charging. That's a bummer because battery life isn't more than 2 or 3 hours. I think I got my cable from Pilot USA. You can download free software from Garmin to edit the video and it works OK.

Ed Holyoke

Back