What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Question - T-1005-L -- Countersink? or Dimple?

Well Known Member
I'm coming out of a slow period of construction this summer and getting back into the wings in a big way. I have the left wing tank nearly ready to assemble (I won't do that until the right tank is also ready to go, but...) and I realized that the T-1005-L (and T-1005-R) tank attach brackets need to have something done to them to accept countersunk rivets, but I'm not sure what.

The plans do not call out anything specific for the rivet holes that attach the tank skin to the attach bracket. I can think of three possible ways to do this, but the way I'm reading the plans, there is no hint of what the preferred way is. I can't find any reference to this anywhere on VAF, and I've even referenced the RV-14 plans, which also don't mention this.

I must be especially thick today.

Anyway, the three ways I can think of are, in order of my preference:

1. Machine countersink the bracket and dimple the skin

2. Dimple the bracket and skin both

3. Machine countersink the skin and leave the bracket flat.

Can anyone let me know what you have done for this? Why can't I figure this out from the plans? What am I missing?

Standards

Vans standard is countersink thickness above .040". Dimple .040" and less. Usually a dimple is stronger. Sorry, not building a 10 so I don't know the parts. My guess would be countersink the bracket and dimple the skin.

Vans standard is countersink thickness above .040". Dimple .040" and less. Usually a dimple is stronger. Sorry, not building a 10 so I don't know the parts. My guess would be countersink the bracket and dimple the skin.

That was my thought as well. However, the plans have you countersink the skin over the rear baffle so I thought they might want that for the attach bracket as well. I think I'm going to countersink the bracket and dimple the skin in this case.

Back