What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Has Disconnected Warning...

Piper J3

Well Known Member
ForeFlight has a new warning feature to alert when ADS-B has disconnected and I?m now getting lots of alerts. So, I assume the WiFi connection between my uAvionix echoUAT and mini iPad running ForeFlight is marginal.

The echo is mounted in my baggage compartment and is only 4? distant from the mini iPad. I have the mini iPad clipped into a plastic tray that is double-face taped to an aluminum sub-plate. I?m wondering if the aluminum sub-plate is limiting the internal WiFi antenna?

iPad Air 2

I have just completed echoUAT install behind cargo bulkhead (i.e. mid tail cone) and about 3 flights. Seems the only time I get the disconnect warning is if I flip to music or otherwise open more apps.

When connected it shows 3 ?bars?

I have just completed echoUAT install behind cargo bulkhead (i.e. mid tail cone) and about 3 flights. Seems the only time I get the disconnect warning is if I flip to music or otherwise open more apps.

When connected it shows 3 ?bars?

You've given me excellent idea. I will download WiFi signal strength app and test inflight with minimal apps open. Good one...

I flew yesterday to investigate WiFi signal strength because of ForeFlight ADS-B Disconnect Messages. I don?t get any bars on the WiFi signal strength meter and the signal strength app I installed doesn?t even recognize the echoUAT. Yesterday?s flight had several ADS-B disconnect messages and I also failed PAPR for 5% missing Baro Alt. I have been adjusting Transponder Threshold Value per uAvionix direction and have it currently set at 1350. I plan on installing MUX cable to hardwire transponder to the echo for encoded altitude.

iPad signal strength meter works (and shows max) when connected to my home network.

So, I really have two issues ?

? WiFi for ADS-B in (weather & traffic) keeps disconnecting from echoUAT to iPad.
? Failed PAPR ADS-B out for missing Baro Alt.

Jim,

The lack of a WiFi symbol when connected to the eachoUAT happens because the echo can't be used to reach the internet. Some devices (like Avidyne IFD) will still show the WiFi symbol, but that's because they haven't configured their gateway correctly to tell iOS that it can't reach the internet.

In other words, perfectly normal.

Jim,

The lack of a WiFi symbol when connected to the eachoUAT happens because the echo can't be used to reach the internet. Some devices (like Avidyne IFD) will still show the WiFi symbol, but that's because they haven't configured their gateway correctly to tell iOS that it can't reach the internet.

In other words, perfectly normal.

How can I diagnose poor WiFi signal strength that keeps giving me "ADS-B Has Disconnected" message in ForeFlight?

Quick update... uAvionix said I should contact ForeFlight for the WiFi connectivity problem "ADS-B HAS DISCONNECTED" message on FF map page.

ForeFlight has had me fly two different flights to log data and collect diagnostic files so they can help me fix problem. I suspect I'll be hearing back from them early in the week...

For the ADS-B out problem where I'm failing PAPR for Baro Alt... I intend to hard wire the the data feed from the GTX327 transponder directly to the echoUAT. No more "sniffing" for the encoded altitude.

Last edited:
Back