What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN 625 data base loading

TJCF16

Well Known Member
I am having problems loading up dates to the GTN, some will load and some will not. This past cycle up date all loaded except the Nav database. I have been having problems with this for awhile. The G3X experts said that probably the internal data card is going bad. I guess everything writes to the internal data card from the removable card except the terrain. They said there is a kit with a new card but not sure if I can replace or do I need to take it to a garmin dealer. Tomorrow they want to walk me through a force load and see if that works.

Tim, I had a few problems loading databases on my gtn until I did a format of the sd card before I loaded the updates onto the card. For me that did the trick.
Now it's standard, Format,load,Update. Hope that helps!

In the flyGarmin app, under the Help menu (why there?), is Clear Downloads. That sometimes helps. I agree, the downloads aren’t nearly as reliable as I think they could be — says I sho knows little about such things.

I just went through this with a new GTN 650. First, make sure your FlyGarmin soft ware loader is at the latest level. Older levels of this s/w are not comparable with the newer GTN boxes.

Second, as you load the data bases into the GTN xxx, be sure you have a GPS signal into the GTN. It requires a "valid" time stamp from the GPS receiver to load the Nav Data Base info. I don't know why this is required, but a call to Garmin fixed my loader problems this past weekend.

I don't know why this is required, but a call to Garmin fixed my loader problems this past weekend.

Probably to compare to the software available to load on the card - there can be more than one version available. Also to tell you the software is out of date in the first place.

If the GTN has not ever had a valid GPS lock to set it's clock OR the keep alive battery inside is dead (it charges when the unit is powered up) the GTN will lose its time reference. This will make it take longer to get a sat lock and it won't know what the time and date is to determine what database is valid to load. Once it gets a lock, you can cycle the power again and it will load the current database.

I have found the internal keep alive to be short lived. If you fly everyday you should not have an issue but those of us that can only fly weekly or longer between flights will start to see that it will die between flights.

Last edited:
I talked to the Garmin guys and they said the same thing about the internal battery. There is a simple way to force load it if the internal keep alive battery is dying. Insert data card push button on the selector knob and hold it in, turn power on the GTN and it will force load without needing to be open to the satellites.. now how to change the battery?

Back