What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Costa Rica ?

Pilot920

I'm New Here
Any RV'ers in Costa Rica? I am planning on a trip there very soon and would like a local to tell me when the best time to go is, where are the best aviation spots to visit, etc. Any info would be helpful. Contact me off line at [email protected]. Thanks. Reuven Silberman CFII KSEE RV7A.

Welcome Rueven. You'll probably find much more useful info on when/where to go on travel sites like TripAdvisor or Frommers. "Soon" is a bit subjective, but I can tell you that now through November is smack in the middle of "Green" (rainy) season. Rates (hotels, rental cars, etc) are cheaper this time of year, but there WILL be lots of rain and some of the roads may be impassable. Generally speaking, more rain in the Southern parts of the country as compared to the North. I vacation down there a fair amount and have yet to see much in the way of general aviation activity, despite looking for it. You can find a few aerial tours here or there, including a guy doing gyrocopter rides/training just north of Playa Samara - Google 'Flying Crocodile," if interested in that. He was also developing an airpark in the area, but I don't think there has been much activity since they got the runway laid out a few years ago.

It is indeed wet right now -- in fact they closed a highway a couple of days ago because the rain was so hard that they were worried about soil stability. If you read Spanish, www.nacion.com is the national newspaper's website.

In terms of RV destinations, there are three "zones": the Caribbean coast, the Central Valley, and the Pacific Coast (which some will argue has multiple sub zones). For the most part you want the Pacific zone. I suggest clearing customs at Liberia, and then hopping over the hill to Tamarindo, which is a surfing town with all sorts of Gringo amenities.

Other destinations include Quepos (Playa Manuel Antonio), where there is a great national park where you can see monkees. There are also some mountain strips with short runways -- personally I would suggest these for tailwheels only, because they can be quite rough.

BTW, should you decide to fly into San Jose, avoid the international airport that the airlines use. The other airport is better geared for GA traffic, and has lower landing fees.

Last edited:
Dated info here, but I went there about 20 years ago and had a great time on the west coast in Manuel Antonio Park. Many resorts there to chose from. We flew in a small commercial plane from San Jose to a small airport in Quepos. A shuttle bus took us from there to our resort (which I can't remember name of). Very beautiful and quiet area (at least it was 20 years ago).

Back