What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Peanut Butter Adhesive Release

Bob Y

Well Known Member
Took the dreaded step today of removing the canopy after completing the fiberglass lay up. Wasn?t sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised by the canopy itself, BUT... I was shocked at the amount of adhesive residue left on the fuselage after removing the duct tape. Not sure if it was old tape, the amount of time since applying, cheap brand, or what, but I had a real mess on my hands. Started using Goo Gone adhesive remover but the going was very slow. I jokingly asked my wife if she wanted to help. She got a jar of smooth peanut butter and smeared it on a bad area for several minutes and... IT REMOVED THE ADHESIVE. It even loosened some epoxy that had dripped on the fuselage side sheets! Just thought I?d pass this trick along.

In hind sight, it might have been better to have applied a layer of Mylar packaging tape first to protect the skins. Hopefully I won?t need to do this again but might be a consideration for those of you that haven?t started your fiberglass work.

Moral of the story - don?t be afraid to ask for help. Never know who can help.

Peanut butter

With all the hours your wife saved, you should take her out for a nice dinner. She?s a keeper!

Options

I layed down six layers of 6 mil plastic on top of the fuselage instead of tape. It was too many layers and the gap between the fuselage top and the bottom of the layup was too large. Just had to do some sanding on the bottom of the canopy where it meets the top of the fuselage. No tape, etc., required. Worked well and no worry about lifting off the completed fiberglass work. I'll do the same next time only use only two layers of plastic sheet.- easy.

Also, orange oil (sold as a bike parts cleaner at my local shop) works great on adhesives that acetone, alcohol won't touch. Also smells very good!

know your adhesive . . .

Interesting !

Duct tape and packing tape usually my go-to is mineral spirits and naphtha. Peanut butter will be on the experiment list.

For old masking tape it is a citrus based cleaner, works great.

Back