What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Formation flying around East TN?

13brv3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I used to really enjoy formation flying with a good friend when I was in the Pensacola area, but here in east TN, I don't see that many RVs. I'd be interested in knowing if there are RVs around the area, and if anyone does any formation flying. My -3B is currently at MMI.

Cheers,
Rusty

That's certainly close. I was at Crossville for about 9 months before finding a hangar closer to home, and I only saw one other RV on the field. That was a -7, and there's a -14 at Monroe County. So far I haven't seen any at McMinn.

Cheers,
Rusty

There's a group over at Anderson, SC, or at least there was 3 years ago. Try Mark Golden at 864 444 0933, or Paul Ellis at 770 655 1991,

Thanks for the comments. I'm still surprised I haven't found more RVs here in east TN. I saw a nice -4 that flew into MMI a couple days ago, probably for the Swift museum gathering. I looked up his tail number, and he's from north GA. I do know that there's a grass strip where I'm told the RVs hang out, but I haven't proven that yet.

Cheers,
Rusty

That's certainly close. I was at Crossville for about 9 months before finding a hangar closer to home, and I only saw one other RV on the field. That was a -7, and there's a -14 at Monroe County. So far I haven't seen any at McMinn.

Cheers,
Rusty

Hello Rusty,
The -14 at Monroe County (KMNV) is actually based at 5TN4, I just hang out at KMNV and KDKX ALOT:).

I like to use Tellico Plains for lunch, if your around during the week.

Marvin

Hello Rusty,
The -14 at Monroe County (KMNV) is actually based at 5TN4, I just hang out at KMNV and KDKX ALOT:).

I like to use Tellico Plains for lunch, if your around during the week.

Marvin

Hi Marvin,

150hrs already? We spoke briefly when my plane was tied up outside at Monroe. At that time, you didn't have the wheel pants on yet, and were flying off the phase 1 time as I recall. I'd be embarrassed to say how few hours I've flown since then.

I haven't ever flown into Tellico, but if they had hangars to rent, it would sure be convenient. It was a brutal 3 hr round trip drive to Crossville, and only an hour to McMinn, so at least I"m working my way closer to home :)

Ferguson's Flying Circus (TN09) is the grass strip where I was told the RVs hang out. Do you know anything about that strip?

Cheers,
Rusty

Last edited:
Butch Ferguson

Hi Marvin,

150hrs already? We spoke briefly when my plane was tied up outside at Monroe. At that time, you didn't have the wheel pants on yet, and were flying off the phase 1 time as I recall. I'd be embarrassed to say how few hours I've flown since then.

I haven't ever flown into Tellico, but if they had hangars to rent, it would sure be convenient. It was a brutal 3 hr round trip drive to Crossville, and only an hour to McMinn, so at least I"m working my way closer to home :)

Ferguson's Flying Circus (TN09) is the grass strip where I was told the RVs hang out. Do you know anything about that strip?

Cheers,
Rusty

I?ve not been into TN09 in quite some time, so I am unaware of the RV?s on that strip. I missed the part about you now being located at KMMI. There are RV?s at KMNV, KDKX, and KMOR that I know of.

I do have more than 150 hours now and -14 is a good flying machine, THANK YOU Vans! I would be interested in riding in an -8 because the -14 aerobatic feel is wonderful and I would like to get a comparison.

Marvin

Back