What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Required reading?

theman1990

I'm New Here
So before I decide to go/no-go an RV-14a project, is their any "required reading" one would recommend. I'v e read akll through Van's site, several builder blogs and this forum but I still don't see/get a "step 1: do XXXXXX" sorta theme... Things like tables, space, what kinda primer, does it even NEED primer etc etc etc....

Step 1
Do a bit of local RV research. Find out if there are any multiple builders in your area.
Websites are great but they are typically first time builders and sometimes errors are made that get corrected on the plane but not on the website!
2. Check EAA and sun and fun websites to see if there are any award winners in your area. These are the guys to ask how to do things right
3. See if the multiple builders are award winners, bingo!

Go visit folks, go talk to them, try some riveting and fiberglass, take some workshops.

Reading is a good start but not enough. After all, as the saying goes, nobody learns to swim by reading a book. :)

Ed

I took the EAA riveting class in Ohio and then just started. You learn as you go. Just buy a toolkit and order the Empennage and just start. You'll make lots of mistakes and you will be a master at removing bad rivets in non time :D

One thing not mentioned yet is reading section 5 in the plans manual. This contains a lot of useful information and tips in it. I also do a lot of searching VAF on what ever I am working on to see how others have done it and if there is a common problem to watch out for.

Step 1 is `Order tail kit'. Everything else will soon fall into place. ;)

Fantastic advice. Prior to starting I tried to plan everything out and prepare as much as possible. Then someone gave me the above advice and it's all worked out.

The key is take your time with the tail, it essentially introduces you to some new skills and techniques that carry through the rest of the build.

"Kitplane Construction" by Ron Wanttaja. Good sections on planning, both physical space and financial, as well as an overview of all the types of construction (and an RV covers most of it except fabric). Then get the set of Bingeles books from EAA - they'll get you thinking like a builder. EAA also has a good series of videos online that cover different aspects of building.

There are a ton of EAA Hint's for Homebuilder's videos that anyone can watch: http://www.eaavideo.org/channel.aspx?ch=ch_hints If you are a visual learner like me, the videos are generally way more informative than any text on the same subject.

One note about a lot of the books out there. They were written when a lot of home building was still via plans and what kits were available were nothing like the modern kits of today, like the RV-14. The info is still good, it's just to the uninitiated they might paint a picture of required processes and skills that simply have been engineered out. IOW you will be more of an assembler than a fabricator.

Last edited:
Have you gotten this?

Best 10 bucks you can spend at Van's,...

USB Flash Drive PLANS/MANUAL RV-14
FD PLANS RV-14
more info
$10.00
Submit

I built a couple "EAA standard workbenches", http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/worktabl/worktabl.htm, as a start. You will also want to have a bench grinder with scotchbrite wheel for all the deburring (I assume you still have some of that to do on a 14). If you're building workbenches, I would build one that accommodates the DRDT-2 dimpler as well, as this will make that chore much easier on you and the parts you are dimpling. Something like this: http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/2013/03/dimpler-platforms-today-i-finished.html

Have a bunch of storage bins, shelving, and small parts containers to store all the parts. I used a labeling machine at first, then just went to sharpie.

After that, the other advice is pretty spot on, just order a kit and get started. You can even start with their practice kits. As you work on your build, you will find yourself rearranging your shop, so don't stress too much about it early on.

Chris

Ok, I know you are requesting information on readings concerning the construction of an RV. However, I think these are also 'required reading' for anyone interested in building an RV. Keep in mind you may find yourself losing many hours of time should you take up reading any of the following forum threads. Regardless of time spent, it will be time well spent.

This is Scott Chastain's accounting of his current adventure across America:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=152245

This is Scott Chastain's past account from last summer of his trip across America:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=140836

This is Vlad's thread on his trip to Russia:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=150934&highlight=vlad

All are riveting reading. In my opinion "must reads"!

Last edited:
Required Reading

Since you asked specifically about "required reading":
+1 on the RV14 flash drive manual from Van's. Sections 1-5 will give you a good start on the questions you are asking.
+1 on the Bingelis books from EAA
The Sportplane Builder
Sportplane Construction Techniques
Firewall Forward
Tony Bingelis on Engines
FAA AC 43.13 Acceptable Methods, Techniques and Practices-Aircraft Inspection, Repair and Alterations. You don't have to pre-read this before starting but it's a valuable reference throughout your build

The Aerolectric Connection by Bob Nuckolls. Start planning your electrical system early.

Primer:eek:Do a search on this website for "Primer" and "Primer Wars". Your decision will depend on your location (near a coast or inland) and whether you want your plane to last 200 years or just 100.

You'll never have quite enough space. If you don't have a hangar, plan for ways to store the completed assemblies. My empennage is in my mezzanine, my wings are in my workshop (ex family room) and my fuselage is in my second garage bay (had to find another location to park my sports car).

I already had a steel topped workbench with a good vice for general mechanical work in my machine shop (utility room between workshop 2 and garage). For the empennage, flaps, ailerons and parts of the wings, I built a 2' x 8' workbench using 4" aluminum channels as a perimeter frame and crossmembers with 2 layers of 3/4" mdf on top. Yes it is overkill. No you probably don't need anything this elaborate, but the plans said a "flat surface" so I made it as flat as I could, and being near the coast, it is unaffected by humidity changes.

As mentioned above, many of these kind of decisions can't be made in advance, only by solving the many "How do I ...." questions as the build progresses.

The hardest part of my build was deciding to order the empennage.

FAA AC 43.13 Acceptable Methods, Techniques and Practices-Aircraft Inspection, Repair and Alterations.

You gotta' be kiddin' me. :D
Isn't that prescribed for insomnia?

But seriously, yes it is a "required" reference and +1 to the rest of the recommendations.

I think most standard kit builders know that Vans instructions (IE Step 1, Step 2, etc) are excruciatingly detailed for the tail, still detailed for the wings and become less so for the fuselage and remainder as they reference the prints more and more. That was the way I interpreted it for my standard build 7A anyway. At the end, one is working off your own custom list of tasks.

It is a point I have observed in regards to QB kit buyers I have directly seen. They have to jump into the middle of the instructions. Not something I would want to do myself. Many questions come that would have been answered on their own via building more of the craft.

It is a point I have observed in regards to QB kit buyers I have directly seen. They have to jump into the middle of the instructions. Not something I would want to do myself. Many questions come that would have been answered on their own via building more of the craft.

I can only speak to the 14, but there wasn't a lot that needed to be done on the QB fuse as far as backtracking and it wasn't hard to pick up where they left off, there is a guide that tells you what the QB folks did, what Vans did, and what is left for the builder. It's been mostly straight forward with the guide. Some modifications for tri-gear vs tail dragger, then on to systems and plumbing.

Last edited:
You could buy the practice kits and build them. By the time you've finished them, your hands will have a good idea of how to build the airframe. And it's a lot cheaper than the first kit.

It's a good exercise of the shop, the lighting, the tools and so on.

Dave

you can only learn the very basics of s&x from a book. Eventually you have to just do it and figure it out. Building a plane is the same.

Basically you cannot prepare enough, might as well get started and get some work done while you are learning. Vans also has training kits if you don't want to take a riveting class.

So before I decide to go/no-go an RV-14a project, is their any "required reading" one would recommend. I'v e read akll through Van's site, several builder blogs and this forum but I still don't see/get a "step 1: do XXXXXX" sorta theme... Things like tables, space, what kinda primer, does it even NEED primer etc etc etc....

Come visit us in Dunnellon and we will spend some time talking you through the process and show you several RV's.

Go/no go

Sounds like you have already done your homework. The hardest part is pulling the trigger. From there on its the start of a new life you want regret. There will be up's and down's. (more up's than down's) Vans has plenty of parts to reorder if and when there is a mistake made.

Like some of the post here say, jump in and get started. You will have plenty of time to read between UPS shipments. You'll be on a first name basis with the UPS man before long.

You will need a couple of good tables or benches to beat your head on from time to time. Did I mention a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a few bandaids (blue tape works just as good)

It really helps if your wife is on-board with this project from the start. You'll need someone to help buck rivets in those tight spaces.

I almost forgot this one! Be in a public place when you tell her that she needs to park her car outside the garage for a while. Hope it doesn't snow there much.

You can do this cause you got a whole choir here on VAF. We got your back!!

The hardest part is pulling the trigger. From there on its the start of a new life you want regret. There will be up's and down's. (more up's than down's) Vans has plenty of parts to reorder if and when there is a mistake made.

Like some of the post here say, jump in and get started. You will have plenty of time to read between UPS shipments. You'll be on a first name basis with the UPS man before long.

You will need a couple of good tables or benches to beat your head on from time to time. Did I mention a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a few bandaids (blue tape works just as good)

It really helps if your wife is on-board with this project from the start. You'll need someone to help buck rivets in those tight spaces.

I almost forgot this one! Be in a public place when you tell her that she needs to park her car outside the garage for a while. Hope it doesn't snow there much.

You can do this cause you got a whole choir here on VAF. We got your back!!

This ^^^

Just go for it!

Last edited:
Back