What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540-D4A5 & planepower Alt

WrightsRV7

Well Known Member
Nice brand new YIO-540-D4a5 engine from Lycoming and "parts" not fitting...

My Dynon probe kit for a Lycoming 6 cyl injected engine has bayonet CHT probes, this new engine does not have a 1/8" npt hole for them...only the one for MP......:confused:

Went to install my FWF kit planepower alternator and the belt is way off and all parts according to planepower are "right" but clearly it won't work on the new engine..:confused: The travel within the adjustment arm is 2" short and there are no options here to put anything upside down or....

I have made many, many. mistakes/oversights in my 35 years of working on planes but I am just in a bit of haze here as everyone I call says...."really, we have never heard of this before...."

If you can offer course correction it would be much appreciated...:)

Cheers, Mike W.

I may be not understanding the cht issue. Surely the cylinders all have a place for cht probes?
Re alternator: does the flywheel pulley have one or two belt grooves? Vans has a bad habit of arbitrarily shipping 2 belt flywheels (other belt is for air conditioning) when you need a one belt flywheel. The standard PP alternator kit won't work with the two belt flywheel.

the taste of humble pie

I found the CHT probe holes with much embarrassment... just a long day and did not widen the search enough...So you were right Bob, they are indeed there.:rolleyes:

Still working the Alternator fix, likely just have to get a shorter belt....

Cheers, Mike

I may be not understanding the cht issue. Surely the cylinders all have a place for cht probes?
Re alternator: does the flywheel pulley have one or two belt grooves? Vans has a bad habit of arbitrarily shipping 2 belt flywheels (other belt is for air conditioning) when you need a one belt flywheel. The standard PP alternator kit won't work with the two belt flywheel.

I'll second Bob said. Use the search tool on this site and you'll a few threads on others who have ended up contacting Lycoming, myself included, to swap out the dual grove ring gear for a single grove one. I tried calling Vans first like others suggested but they steered me to the Experimental division at Lycoming. They'll advance ship you one providing you have not ever started your engine, it sounds like you're a ways off from that.

Back