What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Wing Spars

cwharris

Would it hurt anything if I painted the Main Wing Spars after I got all the countersinking done? I've been using the 2 part AKZO epoxy primer on everything.

Waylon, I believe you are asking about painting the entire spar, correct? I just painted the upper and lower flanges, kind of like Ron, but just shot the entire flange with paint. After completing most of the wing kit, ailerons and tips left to go, I can't really see how painting the spar would be an issue if that is what you want to do.

That's Correct. I'm talking about painting the entire spar.

I just sprayed the top flange where the wing skins joined the spar. It took 10 mins.
Cheers Jim

3520md5.jpg

Last edited:
Other than cost, weight, time and poor primer adhesion, I see no negative to painting the entire thing.
Keep in mind that all the parts (other than the rivets) are clear anodized so the have a very hard conversion coating on the surface that will resist etching by any self etching primer. Because of this you will a reduced level of adhesion (it might even scrape off easily during construction).

Back