What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ready to join tail and fuselage

Well if it's anything like my 10, my advice is to build a jig/cradle to hold the empennage as close to the required angle to the fuselage, so that you can single handedly push things into place and cleco things together. You want low stress on things till most of the cleco's are in place and then you'll be ready to rivet. It's not bad, just be methodical and things will work out. It's amazing what some 2x4's and a mitre saw can accomplish in a short time. Good luck.

Just completed this about 2 weeks ago. +1 on the advice to take it slowly. The only problem i(we) ran into was at 30-03 step 6 - lowering the front of the aft fuselage (by raising the aft portion) put pressure on the forward skin bending it down. When the first clecos went in, we had them in the wrong holes (not matching ones with the longerons too close together). Starting over, what worked much better was a combination of raising the rear portion of the aft fuselage AND raising the forward portion of the forward fuselage.

I also used the shipping crate from the fuselage (haven't broken it up yet) turned upside down as a platform for the forward fuselage - some strategically placed rolled towels adjusted the horizontal level of the aft end. I left the joined fuselage on this platform until the riveting was done. I was much more comfortable climbing into the fuselage for some of the riveting with this support.

PM me if you would like some pics though I'm not sure how much they would help - they were taken more for documentation that tutorial.

Use two picnic tables. Place each section on a table with a foot or two overhanging. Slide tables/fuse sections together.

Back