What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gap between canopy side rails and fuselage

TCONROY

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to take our -7 down for paint in a few weeks and am working on some bodywork and fiberglass finishing. Since finishing the airplane, I have had a small gap between the canopy side rails and canopy deck. With the canopy latched, the gap is about 3/32" on the left side and 3/16" on the right side. I'm trying to figure out what I can/should do to close the gap. Should I add a strip of .063 aluminum to the outside of the existing canopy rails that will hang down 1/4" so it overlaps the fuselage side skin (seems it would be a lot of work as I'd have to drill out the lower line of rivets and add another row between the existing two rows)? Or would it be better to add several fiberglass layups to overlap of the fuselage side skin? Fiberglass would certainly be a lot faster and easier and would probably look better since the upper edge can be feathered into the existing metal side rails. Only issue with fiberglass is that I wouldn't be able to remove the canopy and set it on two 2x4's laying horizontally as the fiberglass would be the lowest surface hanging below the metal and would likely break or crack.

I know this is a common issue so looking for advice...

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

Back