What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Root Andair Gascolator Setup

tgmillso

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi All,

I'm about to order Andair Gascolators for my RV-7, and I was looking for a little feedback first to make sure I get my order right. My plan is to install one gascolator in each wing root. Although I'm installing an IO-360, I will be using the gascolators essentially as filters as they are easier to replace/clean than standard inline filters. I figure that I should just get two standard "right to left" gascolators, with male AN-6 fittings on both ends.
Does anyone have any pictures of their installation they can post, as I've had trouble finding suitable images online?
Should I get a "left to right" and a "right to left" gascolator?
Is my assumption that I should just get the AN-6 male fittings correct?

Cheers,

Tom.

Andair Gascolator

Andair makes both a "left to right" and a "right to left" version of the GAS375 gascolators, but I don't think Vans or Aircraft Spruce list them. I ordered both of mine direct from Andair. This makes the mounting bracket fabrication easier than if both are the same "hand".

You'll have to look at the fitting options when you see the gascolators online. Here's how I did mine. The inlet fitting on the gascolator is an Andair 90* AN6 male fitting that screws to the body with four screws oriented with the fitting pointing up. The outlet fitting on the gascolator is an Andair straight AN6 male fitting that screws to the body with four screws.

From the tank outlet to the gascolator inlet, I used a female/male 90* short radius elbow, tube nut and sleeve, then a tube that goes above the gascolator to a tube nut and sleeve to the inlet.

From the gascolator straight outlet I used a female/male 90* elbow to connect to the fuel line inside the fuselage.

Terry,

Would you mind posting a picture of your install. I'm going to have to come with a solution for my RV14 to keep the folks in MDRA happy. Looking for ideas.

Cheers Jim

Hi All,

I'm about to order Andair Gascolators for my RV-7, and I was looking for a little feedback first to make sure I get my order right. My plan is to install one gascolator in each wing root. Although I'm installing an IO-360, I will be using the gascolators essentially as filters as they are easier to replace/clean than standard inline filters. I figure that I should just get two standard "right to left" gascolators, with male AN-6 fittings on both ends.
Does anyone have any pictures of their installation they can post, as I've had trouble finding suitable images online?
Should I get a "left to right" and a "right to left" gascolator?
Is my assumption that I should just get the AN-6 male fittings correct?

Cheers,

Tom.

I did exactly what you're talking about. I did it with the standard Andair gascolators because I didn't know they made them in another version. So my mounts were different for each side. I also incorporated a mini shut-off valve so I can pull the sump off the gascolator without the tank draining freely. That mini valve is safety wired in the open position. MDRA was happy with my setup. This setup has many advantages and I am happy with it. I can email pictures but they should be in the archives on this forum.

PM your email address for pictures.

Bevan

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Once I take a look at some pictures from Bevan, I'll give Andy a call at Andair and get his take on it before I pull the trigger. I will make sure I post the response/final configuration so that everyone gets an insight into his recommendations. I did speak with him a couple of weeks ago on a separate issue, and I guess I should share his response now. My plan was to put one inline Andair filter in each wing root, as I'm installing a fuel injected IO-360, so I didn't see the gascolator as necessary. I rang to put the order in (because I was having a few difficulties with the website) and ended up speaking with Andy. Andy's take on it was quite different. He asked what climate I was in and when I told him wet and cool/temperate recommended the use of a gascolator with a 70 micron teflon mesh. He said that although the filter is adequate, in damp climates where condensation in the tanks is a risk, the gascolator with teflon mesh will help pick up suspended water droplets, and allow them to settle in the gascolator bowl. Although the fuel injected engine doesn't worry too much about a small amount of suspended water, I gather his concern was the settling out of the water once the aircraft was parked, and the subsequent corrosion of the fuel system. He said the other benefit was the serviceability in the wing roots, and that it was much easier to remove and reinstall the gascolator bowl than it was to remove the inline filters. I slept on his recommendations for a few nights, did some further research, and then headed down the path of the gascolators. I just need to nail down the fittings/directions and I'll be moving forward with the order.

Cheers,

Tom.

From what I have learned from the folks that fly next to water, high humidity, on pre flight, rock wings, good shake, to get any condensation off top of tanks and into fuel, water will travel to tank sumps, complete preflight and drain tank sumps at the end of preflight gives water droplets time to travel to tank sumps, I only have pre and after pump filters on my build. EFII here.

Filters

From what I have learned from the folks that fly next to water, high humidity, on pre flight, rock wings, good shake, to get any condensation off top of tanks and into fuel, water will travel to tank sumps, complete preflight and drain tank sumps at the end of preflight gives water droplets time to travel to tank sumps, I only have pre and after pump filters on my build. EFII here.

Bret
Where did you put the filters?
My set up is very similar to yours and I'm working fuel lines now.

Bret
Where did you put the filters?
My set up is very similar to yours and I'm working fuel lines now.

Did you go with EFII also? So, I have my fuel pumps on the engine side firewall, the post pump filter is mounted on the pump heat shield, made a thicker and longer one, with a filter heat shield, the pre pump filter is on the lower firewall with heat shield.

EFII

Did you go with EFII also? So, I have my fuel pumps on the engine side firewall, the post pump filter is mounted on the pump heat shield, made a thicker and longer one, with a filter heat shield, the pre pump filter is on the lower firewall with heat shield.

Not exactly. Mine will be an IO360M1B but no electronic ignition.
One boost pump a d one mechanical.
Good information either way.

Andair solution

Hi Guys,

The team at Andair sent me a picture of their installation in (I think) an RV-7, which you should see below.

Cheers,

Tom.
2jg7yua.jpg

Last edited:
Andair set up

The photo from Andair is the same for how I have installed the gascolators on my project, except I designed my own brackets which look a little different. I haven't installed the wings yet but I have the same fittings and hose ready to manufacture them to size.

I originally was going to fit the inline filter between the selector valve and auxiliary pump (i.e. both Andair) but realised that I would have to remove the filter at each annual inspection with the subsequent fuel leaking into the cabin. I now have a hose connected to AN6 fittings going between these two components.

With the gascolators on both sides I will still filter the fuel, I will not have to disturb any fuel lines but simply remove the bowl and filter to clean it. That wayI hope to never have fuel leaking inside the cabin.

Bowl

The photo from Andair is the same for how I have installed the gascolators on my project, except I designed my own brackets which look a little different. I haven't installed the wings yet but I have the same fittings and hose ready to manufacture them to size.

I originally was going to fit the inline filter between the selector valve and auxiliary pump (i.e. both Andair) but realised that I would have to remove the filter at each annual inspection with the subsequent fuel leaking into the cabin. I now have a hose connected to AN6 fittings going between these two components.

With the gascolators on both sides I will still filter the fuel, I will not have to disturb any fuel lines but simply remove the bowl and filter to clean it. That wayI hope to never have fuel leaking inside the cabin.

How do you get the bowl off in such a tight space?

Thanks Grif, I'll look into the design of mounting them. My wings are on already. Getting ready for my airworthiness inspection in a couple of weeks. I was told that fuel in the United States is exceptionally clean and that may not be the same in other countries. Even after draining sumps in piper and Cessna aircraft in the last 43 years of flying can't say I remember and debris. Something to think about.

Ron in Oregon

Gascolator and fuel line configuration

Hi Guys,

I'm nearing the point where I have to drill the holes for the fuel inlet for the fuselage and the gascolator, so I've been trying to work out the best possible geometry. My problem with the stock fuselage fuel inlet location is that it is directly opposite the fuel outlet from the tank. I think that if it were approximately 1" lower, it would allow the use of a AN fitting on the end of the flared hardline, that would turn allow the use of a flexible line from there to the gascolator outlet. The intent is to not have that bend in the hardline between the fuselage and the gascolator, as I see that being very difficult to form well in place, and from the way I see it, you will have too many bends in that line from the fuel selector to pre bend it before installation. Even in the picture from Andair there appears to be a flat spot in the bend. Rather than a 1" diameter hole with a grommet, I considered using a bulkhead fitting, however by the time I put a large radius fitting on the other side, I think this is going to stick too far into the cockpit area. This would of course also require a spacer between the F-7101 gear attach web and the F-770 forward side skin.
Does anyone see a problem with moving this hole downwards and the use of a flexible fuel line between the fuselage and the inlet of the gascolator?
Cheers,
Tom.
PS. The edited fuselage interior picture below is from Janson Beaver's RV-7
mbip6o.jpg

a1jz1u.jpg

Back