What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A empennage

RV7a Newbie

I'm New Here
Hi Folks Im new to the Site
Basically Im from Ireland and Currently in the process of ordering a Empennage kit for a 7a

Could any one with some time give me a list of the heavier tools needed so I can start Immediately, A band Saw is a Must from what i read?

Cheers in advance for any comments

A band saw is nice to have. I started without one, but your life is much easier with a band saw. Pneumatic cleco gun is a must in my book, they are fairly cheap and well worth it. And a bench grinder for your scotchbrite wheel. A drill press is nice and make alot of thing easier, but I wouldnt say is a "must". but if you have the money i'd buy one.

The "RV tool kit" from Browns tools is pretty complete and pretty good. I'd imagine other rv tool kits are about the same.

My advise is plan ahead and build you work bench and figure out how you want to organize tools and parts.

Last edited:
Although I have times when I would like a band saw, I've finished my empennage, wings and halfway through the fuselage without one. Often you just want to take your time and make your cuts accurate with a hacksaw or dremil. As far as heavy tools go, I think more important is a bending brake, as Van's has you tweak or bend quite a few components, a belt sander with disc face and quick change velcro sanding discs (120 grit), a bench grinder with medium scotchbrite wheel (as already mentioned), and a drill press. Also, along the heavy line is the C-frame dimpler of which you can just order the head and weld up the rest yourself (I have a distinct preference for the DRDT2 lever version over the ones you hit with a hammer) and finally a back rivet plate, which you should be able to purchase from a local steel supplier, then polish to a smooth finish. I could only purchase mine by the meter (it is 100mmx18mmx1m) however I am happy it is this big as it makes some of the back riveting much easier. Also, as a final bit of advice, get the best rivet gun you can afford (3x) but don't worry about the fancy air drill. I have one and don't use it, as it's a pain dragging around an air line all the time (and having the compressor running). I find good cobalt bits with a Makita 10.8V lithium, and a Makita 18V lithium for countersinking work are quite adequate and far more handy.
Tom.

I think power tool selection is a never ending debate candidate.

A 6" bench grinder with scotchbrite wheel. While this could be skipped, it is a very basic and constantly used tool. I think it is expected that all builders have this.

Air compressor. Anything will work but there are differences in performance. "oil-less" are usually noisy enough to be undesireable. HP rating is going to be a selection depending how impatient you are. You will have to wait for small HP compressors to catch up when using air tools.

A drill press (bench model is fine). Try to get one with slowest low speed as possible. This also could be skipped, but there is a safety aspect when cutting large holes with a fly cutter and a hand drill motor. Secondarily, accuracy and perpendicularity of holes are sometimes important.

DRDT-2. While not a power tool, It is pricey. I would put it ahead of the sander and band saw.

Bench mounted Belt/disc sander. I did not have one of these however if I built again I would get one (and before the band saw).

Band Saw. I did not have one during the build. For the few pieces that needed sawing, I used a hack saw. Either way, the part should be filed to final shape so the cutting method is not highly relevant. Saw usage is higher during fuselage construction compared to tail or wing. Quickbuild folks will hit this earlier than standard build folks.

Last edited:
Super thanks

Cheers Everyone
Im definitely gona kit out my workspace first..Some good tips, Some shelving definitely a good idea to keep the parts organised and also visible

Thanks again

Looking forward to annoying ye all with curious questions!

+1 to Bill's comment. I mirror his comments exactly!

And as for workspace. A ton of work can be done in a very small space. (I.e. Deburring and filing down shear marks). I did most of mine in the basement in front of the tv on a drop sheet.

I think 50% of build time is in edge/hole prep??? :p:p

Not really a large power tool but a quality hand squeezer like the "Main Squeeze" from Cleaveland Tools was a little more expensive than the others but totally worth it to me.

Bevan

I think power tool selection is a never ending debate candidate.

A 6" bench grinder with scotchbrite wheel. While this could be skipped, it is a very basic and constantly used tool. I think it is expected that all builders have this.

Air compressor. Anything will work but there are differences in performance. "oil-less" are usually noisy enough to be undesireable. HP rating is going to be a selection depending how impatient you are. You will have to wait for small HP compressors to catch up when using air tools.

A drill press (bench model is fine). Try to get one with slowest low speed as possible. This also could be skipped, but there is a safety aspect when cutting large holes with a fly cutter and a hand drill motor. Secondarily, accuracy and perpendicularity of holes are sometimes important.

DRDT-2. While not a power tool, It is pricey. I would put it ahead of the sander and band saw.

Bench mounted Belt/disc sander. I did not have one of these however if I built again I would get one (and before the band saw).

Band Saw. I did not have one during the build. For the few pieces that needed sawing, I used a hack saw. Either way, the part should be filed to final shape so the cutting method is not highly relevant. Saw usage is higher during fuselage construction compared to tail or wing. Quickbuild folks will hit this earlier than standard build folks.

I agree completely. Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

I think one of my best bench tool purchases is the 1" belt sander from Harbor Freight. This tool is about $45 or less and will a pretty fine grit (220) it works great for rounding corners or smoothing cut edges. I built a little fence for mine out of 1/4" x 1" aluminum bar that I screw to the work surface. I use that to square up the end of cut angle or tubing. It works great.

I also bought a 10" disc sander from Harbor Freight. This tool is useful but its limited. It is a little too powerful for most of the work that we do on aluminum even with a fine grit disc. I thin a combination disc / belt sander might be a better choice. Sometimes we do have longer edges that need to be sanded and the disc sander just doesn't work for that either.

Just a comment on the band saw. I had one before starting my build and it is very helpful. I don't think you "need" it until later in the build when you are making more little brackets and etc. It is helpful for cutting some of the different shapes that we need to cut during the build.

So I understand you desire to get you shop organized up front. But make sure you are really going to enjoy this build process. It does take a special personality to enjoy this type of project. It is a lot of work and if you don't get excited seeing some stupid little bracket that you made riveted on then it may not be for you. Many builders start and don't finish their projects. I'm still building so that could even be me but I have that excitement when I see big pieces going together that motivates me to the next step. My point is it might be a better idea to start on the tail section where not that many tools are required and see how it goes before you spend a bunch of money on tools outfitting the perfect shop. Not trying to discourage you here, just trying to be realistic. There is a certain excitement of building your own plane but you need to look within yourself and evaluate whether you are really cut out for this type of project.

Back