What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Decisions during build

felixflyer

I'm New Here
Hi all

I am near to completing my empennage and my wing kit is on the way.

I know there are a few options regarding engine/instrumentation/lighting etc. and I presume some of those decisions need to be made during the build of the wings in regards to pitot and air data plus obviously the lighting.

Is there somewhere a list of what & when I need to be thinking about during the wing build that isn't included in the kit?

I would like an EFIS system with autopilot etc. and IFR glass panel. I also want good LED lighting and it needs to be aerobatic.

Regards

Planning

Mike
Another builder asked the same recently. I don't know of any lists.
The consensus is to plan your pathways and in your case, the mounting location for the pitot heater controller. Unfortunately the heater controllers are all different but at least have an idea where it will go and how you will install the nutplates for it and how you will install and remove it if needed. I decided on Dynon early and installed the nutplates for later use. Hopefully they don't change the dimensions.
The wiring can go through conduit or snap bushings. Just plan ahead and put pull strings in place. I installed the conduit.
Pitot/AOA plumbing does need a planned pathway. Make sure you consider where the mast will go and how plumbing will get there including passing the bellcrank if it's outboard of that.
Vans has a document posted with rib hole locations. You may want to take a look.
Consider what LEDs you want and where. Wiring to them should not be a problem but mounts need to be planned during construction.
For Aerobatics you may want one or both fuel tanks with flop tubes. Many builders go flop on the left and standard right just in case a flop tube develops a problem.
Vans does not sell the capacitive fuel level kit so yours will come with the floats. If you want capacitive, they are easy to make. Ask for a scan of the plans. There are vendors selling probes as well.
Cleveland sells a nice set of pre-tapped tie down brackets with rings. Save yourself some labor tapping the Vans brackets. Also, consider installing them so the surface is flush to the skin.

Last edited:
Back