What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

length of main gear leg fairing RV-7a

davef

I've searched the plans and instructions and can not find the length to cut the main gear leg fairings. the hinge shows to be 25" with 2" added to clamp to the fairing (DWG 3). The stencil doesn't give a length and refers to a molded reference lines on the fairing to set the stencil up from. I'm assuming they mean the top of the root side of the fairing but am unsure. Any input would be appreciated.
Dave

mine is all trimmed out, I don't remember what I started with but I measure 26 on leading edge and 26 3/4 on the trailing edge.

Drawing C3, sector G-10 shows the top line, sector F-2 shows the lower cut line. This will get you close and will need to be trimmed a bit more to clear the wheel pants. I left the trailing edge a bit long to ensure there was no gap once I installed the hinge.

Brian

What Brian said......I cut mine at those dimensions and it was still a little long. It was easy work to trim to fit.

The plans I have are 11" by 17". I'm wondering if they should be 22" by 24". That would put the lengths about right. I'll call Vans in the morning. Thanks for your help.

Back