What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A five seat configuration

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Can you legally set up the back seat with a 3 seat configuration. I understand the CG and weight and balance issues. Just thinking the ability to have the three Grand kids in the back seat, safely. Also, can you have a five seat RV 10 and get insurance. Thanks.

back seats

Well that all depends Richard, you going to get that thing done in the next 5 years. Your grand kids may grow out of it.

Ya, but at least I dont need a parka to work on my plane. Was a bit chilly today though, only got to the 70's

There are certainly options, like the Cleaveland 60/40 back seat that may be able to be modified for a third set of seat belts.

I suspect the real issue will be with the insurance underwriters. It would be interesting to see how much your liability premium would be impacted by adding the fifth seat. Especially since that's an option not supported by the factory.

Additionally, in Ohio, we are taxed by the number of seats in the aircraft. It's not a big amount, so it wouldn't have any impact in the decision making process.

If you can make the W&B/CG work, and get the airplane insured, then it's just a matter of figuring out the seatbelts, right?

In any case, probably not as difficult as this :eek:

I guess the main question is if anyone had received an airworthy certificate with a 5 seat configuration. Todd, thanks for that info. I sent Aaron a PM about his five seat set up.

Last edited:
5 seat configuration

I did this on my -10 thinking my daughters could bring friends, whicy they did a few times. but the issue now that they are older is the middle seat is an issue for comfort over the tunnel. the bench seat doesn't get a friend anymore, sure they fit but they are not motivated to squeeze in the back anymore.
With that said, the bench seat versus two seats and a gap is a great setup that gives the girls some extra room they wouldn't have otherwise.
not much work involved adding the spacer into one of the seats and cutting holes for the belts, but just keep in mInd the tunnel and were folks will need to put their legs, unless it's a baby, than do it for sure, you won't regret it..
CG wise, never an issue and I don't think it would be with three adults.
Pascal

I guess the main question is if anyone had received an airworthy certificate with a 5 seat configuration. Todd, thanks for that info. I sent Aaron a PM about his five seat set up.

Can't remember for sure if I have done one or not, but I wouldn't have a problem if it is done right.

Back