What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LONGERON countersink areas

salto

Well Known Member
Just had one of those bugger it events!
The plans on page 29-09 say in step 8 countersink the outboard holes except as referenced in fig 4.
And I did!
As the eyes wandered back down to the areas on the skin that are not to be dimpled some of those holes will be riveted to the lower LONGERON which are now countersunk.
Possibly not a part throw away by reverting to 426 in that area.
Amendment to the Fig-4 on 29-09 by adding the lower LONGERON would be something worth looking at.

Thanks Bob that's a relief. The pictorial reference to the upper LONGERON caught me off 💂 guard.
I stopped whistling when I spotted the trap.

I am not clear what the confusion was/is.... regardless, no matter how a technical document is written, it will not read the way 100% of the people reading it would expect.

The current text says....
Step 8: Machine Countersink the outboard holes in the Upper and Lower Longeron Assemblies to accept the dimpled holes in the side skins. See Figure 4 for exceptions.

Fig. 4 is labeled UPPER LONGERON ASSEMBLY COUNTERSINKING EXCEPTIONS.
It has a leader line (arrow) pointing to it with the text UPPER LONGERON,
It has an area marked DO NOT COUNTERSINK

The intended interpretation is that you should countersink all of the holes on the outboard sides of the upper and lower longerons except the ones noted in the diagram in Fig 4. Since the diagram is of the upper longeron, you should refrain from machine countersinking 6 holes (the ones depicted) in the upper longeron.

BTW, I believe these 6 holes will eventually be countersunk but it is delayed until after match drilling the upper top skin to produce a good alignment of the holes. The rest of the upper row holes are being machine countersunk now because it is easier to do without the fwd side skin in place.

Last edited:
I think Scott the problem is that step 8 says countersink upper and lower with exceptions indicated in fig 4. ( not exact words).
So in reference to the diagram you countersink all the holes apart from the ones in fig 4.
After that you come back to revise the next step and the penny drops. The dogs sitting around your feet clear off and you weren't even talking to them!
So the issue is that step 8 references fig 4 as the only exception where it could quite easily show exceptions for the lower LONGERON also.

Ok, this time it was me not ready clearly what was said:eek:.... after re-reading your original post I understand that the point is there are rivets in the lower longeron that will be 470's, but all holes were specified in Step 8 to be machine countersunk.

This will be corrected at the next revision cycle.
In the mean time, if someone that is able would merge this thread into the plans gotchas thread, that wold be good.

BTW, flush rivets in these locations is not a problem.... the 470's were just to reduce some countersinking/dimpling work for some rivets that aren't exposed externally.

Back