What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tape for the FLAPS

n38139

Well Known Member
I bought some in the past but I can't remember who I got it from. Clear plastic anti-rub tape for the flaps? Anybody have a source?

Thanks

Does the Teflon anti-chaffe work? I have the clear stuff on my flaps and it is black and dirty from rubbing. If the Teflon stuff works better I might try that.

If the bottom of the upper wing skin isn't painted, the aluminum oxides rub off on the clear tape. Fortunately, they clean off fairly easily.

Try painting the bottom of the skin. It won't show and should fix the issue for next to nothing in price.

Yes, you can put teflon tape, or other, under that skin, but aren't you trying to protect the flap paint? Any grit caught in the underside of that skin would scratch the flap paint, hence our recommendation to protect the flap with the paint protection film.

Or do all of the above!

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Paint-Protection-Film-p/2301.htm

Teflon tape for flaps

I put the tape on the flaps ( first mistake) instead of under wing, had dirty fingers (mistake #2) looks bad when flaps are down.
has anyone taken the teflon tape off ?
I would like to know hard it is and how you did it ( I have heard heat gun) but I dont want to experiment....would like to know from someone who has done it.
Does it lift the paint off? Im hoping I can take tape off wing without ruining paint and reapply new tape under wing
Also I am interested if anyone has improved canopy rollers from the standard nylon wheels that come stock on RV8A
Thx for any input

49clipper

Just finished removing the flaps and removing the clear UHMD tape that had been on flaps for 8 years. 3 hours per flap of fairly hard work scraping with a pocket knife and using lots of MEK. Also used 3M auto finish tape and glue remover, but the MEK seems to soften it better. It did not remove the paint but did put many scratches in it. Sure seems like there should be a better product to use for antiscrap on the flaps. I ordered new tape from Vans, Not installed yet. the UHMD tape does yellow, no matter anyone tells you. It turned black in areas from the aluminum and got very yellow over the years.
I looked up the SS tape from McMaster, but it was over $35.00 per roll.

DO not use a heat gun to soften the tape, it will make the paint come off with the tape. Don't ask how I know that.

Just finished removing the flaps and removing the clear UHMD tape that had been on flaps for 8 years. 3 hours per flap of fairly hard work scraping with a pocket knife and using lots of MEK. Also used 3M auto finish tape and glue remover, but the MEK seems to soften it better. It did not remove the paint but did put many scratches in it. Sure seems like there should be a better product to use for antiscrap on the flaps. I ordered new tape from Vans, Not installed yet. the UHMD tape does yellow, no matter anyone tells you. It turned black in areas from the aluminum and got very yellow over the years.
I looked up the SS tape from McMaster, but it was over $35.00 per roll.

DO not use a heat gun to soften the tape, it will make the paint come off with the tape. Don't ask how I know that.

Use something like this to remove flap tape:

http://www.amazon.com/AES-Industrie...719696&sr=8-1&keywords=Adhesive+removal+wheel

You'll save a lot of time.

49clipper

OH, I forgot to mention I did use a new eraser wheel like Kyle suggested. Did little to nothing. Wouldn't touch the tape at all. My brother in law (in the body shop business) told me that also and so i tried it, but to no avail.

I had good luck with the eraser wheel removing dried up yellowing umhw tape. It worked much better than any combination of solvents and heats that I managed to come up with.

Tried the eraser wheel with a cordless drill with negative results. Then read the instructions saying to use high speed and at an angle. Worked very well on 4 RV?s using 2 wheels. Used paint thinner to clean up (not lacquer thinner) and grease and wax remover to clean before installing Vince?s 3m product.

Larry

Just to point out what might not be obvious to all:
  • UHMW tape yellows, then cracks into tiny pieces, then won't come off without Herculean effort.
  • Stainless steel tape is great, but usually won't lay down flat... AND it will slice the living daylights out of your fingertips. Wax carefully!
  • Teflon tape? Uncommon, but it's available. The stuff I've seen is brownish gray and not very attractive. I'd use it under the wing skin if possible.
  • Paint Protection Film, or PPF, made by 3M. Won't yellow, will peel off easily if needed, won't leave a residue, easy to cut but won't cut you, lasts for 10 years or more, and is relatively cheap too!

We carry the PPF tape.... because I've tried the others and found them inferior.

SS Tape

I used 3" SS tape from McMaster Carr. The 6 requires slightly more than 3 yards, but there was enough extra on the 3 yard roll ($25) to get the job done. I got a couple of wrinkles in the tape, but it looks a lot better than scratched aluminum. John

49clipper

I am going with Vinces PPF. Just placed the order. Hopefully it will be easier to get off next time.

Thumbs up for what flyboy carries over.

I have a polished airplane so the tape matters. A lot. Just pulled off the old UHMW tape and replaced with the 3M variety.

Big improvement.

Back