What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inverted Oil on a RV-3

rph142

Well Known Member
I figured I would post a pic and a video of the recently installed inverted oil system on my 3. Space was very tight as you can see from the pic and video below. Despite my best efforts, I wasnt able to get the standard Christen 803 tank to fit behind the #3 cylinder. I replaced it with the raven oil half inverted tank. Let me know if you see any problems!

24uxe91.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PalTVEBLjBQ

Boy Rob, if that picture doesn't undelrine the challenges of fitting everything under the hood of a -3, nothing will!

That's some packagiing

I installed an inverted system in my RV4 (w/O360). Try as I might, I wasn't able to put the oil valve on the firewall as you did. I'm impressed you were able to do it in the tighter confines of a RV3.
I notice you are using braided steel lines. I used these as well when I was building, but have since switched to braided kevlar jacketed lines. These are much lighter (about 60%) and miuch more flexible allowing tighter radius curves without kinking.
With the kevlar lines, I might have had a shot at putting the oil valve on the firewall.

Exhaust clearance

In trying to install a Raven inverted system on my 3, I've noticed that the exhaust hits the oil fittings on the engine sump. It looks like a Vetterman exhaust (I think). Anyone know what exhaust will clear the fittings?

Thanks

Back