What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Screen Dynon

dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
I have reviewed the forums and have found many entries on the dual-screen Dynon installation, c. 2014 I am building a 912 ULS and am ready to order the powerplant kit. Is there anything I should know about electrical power requirements regarding a dual-screen Dynon or Garmin. I would greatly appreciate any comments or advice anyone may have.

Thanks

I believe each screen for a Dynon HDX pulls pretty close to 3.5 to 4 amps. When you add in how much current the battery can draw while recharging, it might be a strain on your Voltage Regulator.

The Silent Hectic models seem to avoid failures, the older Ducati models, tend to fail with some regularity.

Ask around to some more experienced posters.

My advice would be to rely on The most current data and Kit Instructions. You’ll go crazy trying to make sense of issues and opinions that are years old and not relevant or accurate regarding the current designs and components, especially the avionics and electrical systems. The later model panels draw less current. The newer voltage regulators and mounting are less troublesome, and so on. The older forums may be useful for tips and tricks regarding assembly, finishing, tool selection and use, and often just a good laugh about our lessons learned, usually involving band-aids. Have fun!

Download section 43B of the RV-12 (not iS) plans here on Van's website.

You can see what's involved. You will be instructed to move the voltage regulator to aft of the firewall if that has not already been done to mitigate the increased load on the reg.

Then you can order a Dual Screen kit from Van's standard RV-12 order forms. You will need to have them delete the HDX from the order and find a Skyview SVT somewhere. Dynon has dropped the model and Van's no longer sells it. You can't mix the SVT with an HDX. Another option is sell your SVT and do dual HDX.

I installed the Dual Screen kit and have had no issues with the voltage regulator after a couple hundred hours with it. I usually run with everything on including landing lights on pulse. The dual screen adds to the fun and utility.
Go for it!
IMG_1025-L.jpg

My advice would be to rely on The most current data and Kit Instructions. You?ll go crazy trying to make sense of issues and opinions that are years old and not relevant or accurate regarding the current designs and components, especially the avionics and electrical systems. The later model panels draw less current. The newer voltage regulators and mounting are less troublesome, and so on. The older forums may be useful for tips and tricks regarding assembly, finishing, tool selection and use, and often just a good laugh about our lessons learned, usually involving band-aids. Have fun!

The voltage regulator has been moved from under the cowling, to inside the cabin, back to under the cowling.

So, which is less troublesome, location wise? Which location had a lower failure rate? What's the most current and best regulator?

More "Screens" the Better...

I flew J3-Cub for 23 years. Now I can't get enough colored screens...

Windows??? Only window is the canopy.

Two mini iPad's running ForeFlight with Cockpit Sharing. Angled screen is zoomed out and shows course, weather, and traffic at a distance. Top center screen stays zoomed at 4 mile radius and shows nearby traffic for safe avoidance. Good situational awareness - just need to remember to look outside... :D

Two mini iPad's running ForeFlight with Cockpit Sharing. Angled screen is zoomed out and shows course, weather, and traffic at a distance. Top center screen stays zoomed at 4 mile radius and shows nearby traffic for safe avoidance. Good situational awareness - just need to remember to look outside... :D

I was referring to your desktop computer at home... and the number of screens on your desk, if you are running Microsoft.

Last edited:

I like your setup Jim. I hate zooming in & out on a single iPad while flying. Then you have to remember to hit the ?keep airplane centered on map? button or you will fly right off the screen without knowing it. Not good if you have an emergency and need to know your location at a glance. The fewer button pushes and fiddling with instrumentation...the better.

For anyone considering a mini iPad at the top of the radio stack... check clearance canopy bow to instrument panel. The angled iPad is 2 and iPad in the center is an iPad4. The 4 is thinner than the 2.

Back