VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-21-2008, 12:19 PM

My IV is to the right of the radio stack. I originally mounted it canted toward the pilot but later mounted it flat against the panel. It actually looks better, just like Mike said. I don't find myself looking at it enough to be a bother being on the right side. Besides, it give the copilot something to look at! Hold off on buying avionics until you really have to. Who knows when something better will come along!

Bob Kelly
President, AviationNation, Inc
RV-9A N908BL, Flying
Old 01-21-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobobk View Post
My IV is to the right of the radio stack. I originally mounted it canted toward the pilot but later mounted it flat against the panel. It actually looks better, just like Mike said. I don't find myself looking at it enough to be a bother being on the right side. Besides, it give the copilot something to look at! Hold off on buying avionics until you really have to. Who knows when something better will come along!

Bob Kelly
Waiting until the last minute on avionics is part of my strategy and hopefully that will be relatively soon. My co-pilot/cheerleader/rivetting partner will want/need something to look at so if I can accommodate that I will. She deserves a lot of consideration where there are multiple workable options.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM

A rep from AvMap contacted me today and told me that this forum at VAF was probably the most active approach for info on the AvMap. She said that at one time AvMap did moderate a forum but that it has been given up. Too bad, its an awesome machine that deserves more support from its manufacturer..
Old 01-21-2008, 09:11 PM

Ha, I thought it was just me with that power-off situation. On the plus side, it gives you an ops check of your batteries every time you turn the external power off.

Chuck Olsen
RV-7A
TSP
Old 01-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Hangar/home at Hicks Airfield (T67), Fort Worth, TX
Default Lowrance User To AVMAP?

Any of you AvMap users come over from Lowrance? I have a 2000C and have been pretty satisfied with it, except I want XM weather. I called tech support at Lowrance and was told it ain't gonna happen in 2008 and probably not in 2009.
I've heard a lot of comments about how easy the menus are to navigate on the EK IV, compared to what? A Garmin owner didn't find them so easy but then I don't find the Garmin menus that easy. Lowrance has always been a "user friendly" GPS and am just wondering how the AvMap units compare.
OK, fire away!
VAF#153
Pilots N Paws Pilot
RV6A N167CW 1,800 HRS
Ft Worth, TX (T67)
Old 01-22-2008, 10:18 AM

Thumbs down AvMap EKP-IV

The AvMap people have been saying they will have XM Weather capability for the pass 2 years and I still don't see it. Can't be that great of a GPS. I purchased one a year and a half ago and it stays at home. Garmin 496 with XM Weather replaces it.

Bill
N819VK RV-6A Flying
RV-7A Building 70% Complete
Old 01-22-2008, 10:56 AM

Default would like harness

is there anyone doing a wiring harness for the AvMap ?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

The AVMap comes with a cigarette lighter plug/cable for power. The fitting on the end is a bit different, so I just cut it off, left enough pigtail to splice wiring for the run to breaker, and ground.

For data, the unit uses a what appears to be a standard four lead mini pin, like in a walkman, etc. I ordered this when I ordered the AvMap, so I didnt realize it was a standard plug until I received it, now knowing that, I would purchase a plug locally, and wire it myself.

Only one wire for data stream, easy to do yourself. It appears that the same plug is designed to carry power also, but the instruction book that comes with the unit is not very good, so this connection is suspect. I called the US rep, and they werent supportive of using this as a power input.

Only other hookup is the antenna.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-22-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post

Only other hookup is the antenna.
IIRC, there is another connector, something like a small USB. This will be used for weather, traffic info and such. Don't have my EKP IV here, but think I'm right on that. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm not!

Bob Kelly
President, AviationNation, Inc
RV-9A N908BL, Flying
Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bob, sorry for the confussion, I was describing how I hooked things up.

I seem to remember seeing that port, but IIRC, it is for "at home" type use, not when mounted in the plane---it just isnt addressed well in the instruction book.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."