VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-19-2008, 12:12 PM

Default AVMAP forum

Does anyone know of a forum for AV MAP owners?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

As of 1-22-08, with the permission of DR, this thread is now the "AvMap Discussion"

I have moved the previous AvMap threads here, for those interested in the product.

Mike

I would also like to know about such a forum, should one exist.

As it is, at least we can use this thread to start a discussion---------

So, just to kick it off, I have a question-----how do you make the unit shut off with the plane master power switch, and not go onto internal power?????

Thanks in advance,

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

Last edited by Mike S : 01-22-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:06 PM

I second that question!

Provided the unit can sense external power being removed, I would prefer the behavior to be a power down when external power is removed and batteries are installed. I would also like the unit to automatically power up when external power is applied, would be best if it could remember if it was powered up when the external power was last removed.

I assume AvMaps thinking is an automatic failover to battery power if external power goes away when the unit is on but I think a more preferable behavior would be the unit shuts off, BUT can be manually turned back on using battery power if desired. If nothing else, make this a configuration option.

I don't have the most current firmware loaded so if behavior under the new firmware has changed..... Never Mind.
OneX - Under Construction - For Sale
Old 01-19-2008, 01:18 PM

Don't think we have the option but I too would like auto power up and down. IIRC, way back when they did have that as part of the OS. I have an early EKP IV.

Love the IV, but mine won't keep the batteries charged. Perhaps I need new ones as these are about four years old. Not much backup there!

Forum is a good idea.

Bob Kelly
President, AviationNation, Inc
RV-9A N908BL, Flying
Old 01-19-2008, 02:28 PM

Default any news on weather ?

I also would like to see a forum on the AvMap... anyone have an update on when weather will be available for the EKP ?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:23 PM

Two or three years ago I found an active forum for AvMap,it was very informative and their tech guys chimed in all the time with good input. I thought you could get to it from thier web site but have not accessed it for awhile and I cant locate. I emailed them today and wil update the group if I hear back from them.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 AM

Default AvMap EKP IV question

I have a question for anyone out there familiar with the AvMap EKP IV. I"m pretty well sold on the EKP IV but since I'm a year away from flying (yeah, I know it'll be more than that but let me fool myself for a while) I haven't bought a GPS yet.

I would like to mount the GPS in the right side of the panel on my -7A. Is the screen viewing angle such that the information would be readable from the left seat if the unit is mounted flush to the panel?

Alternatively I could put a wedge-type spacer behind the AvMap to angle it towards the left seat but would rather not. And I do have room in the center of the panel for it if I mount it horizontally but I really like how the info is displayed in the vertical mount. Putting it in the right side would also balance the layout of the panel aesthetically (a secondary consideration to be certain).

Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

What you are talking about, is exactly what I have done.

Even though the posted photo is shot from the right rear, the view of the AvMap from the pilot seat is just dandy. It seems to me that the off axis view is much better to the left than the right, almost as if the engineers planned on having it mounted this way.

Good Luck.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

Last edited by Mike S : 03-17-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:52 AM

Default 18 minutes from question to answer!!

This is great! Somebody around this place always has the answer somebody else needs. Thanks Mike.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:53 AM

Talking You will look at it a lot!

Do not put it on the right, you will be looking at it all the time and get a "neck-ake". It's just great with the big display and gives you tons of infromation. (still very well visible though, on the right).

Regards, Tonny.
RV9A, Registration: PH-VAN
ECI-Titan IOX-320 with dual EI, turning a Whirlwind 200RV CS prop.
Sold