VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-02-2016, 07:44 AM
g3xpert's Avatar
g3xpert g3xpert is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 1,703
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermechanic View Post
Will XM weather be an option? In Canada we don't have adsb so xm is our only real time weather option.
Hello Jeremy,

We are working on a solution to support SXM weather and music for the area 660 and hope to have that available later this year. More info will be available at that time.

Update: Didn't make late 2016, but still working hard on this solution!

Thanks,
Steve
__________________
Garmin G3X Support
g3xpert@garmin.com
1-866-854-8433 - 7 to 7 Central Time M to F
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 01-30-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-02-2016, 07:52 AM
JDBoston JDBoston is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 267
Default

I transitioned to the iPad a long time ago but was using an Aera 510 for a while as well and will have to say this does have me interested.

Additional questions:

- Is there a logbook option which allows you to export your flights in non proprietary format (csv, etc)?

- Does the log function include track logging?

- While unlikely is there any chance that this subscription also includes the use of Garmin Pilot on the iPad considering the data is the same? It would be nice to have the iPad as a backup (or the other way around).

Thanks
__________________
Jeff

RV-14A
Status: Wings complete, Working on: Elevators. Location:MA
http://vans14a.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-02-2016, 09:03 AM
dweyant dweyant is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 07TS
Posts: 387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthocker View Post
They already do! Take SD card out of display, take card to a wifi location(Starbucks, etc.) , place card in laptop, connect to Fly Garmin via wifi, download charts!
Really, I didn't know that...

Sort of a smart *** response don't you think?
__________________
Dan Weyant
RV-9A N96KD
Done and Flying 4/30/2015
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-02-2016, 09:24 AM
MrMorden MrMorden is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Athens, GA`
Posts: 22
Default

I wonder if the impending airgizmo dock and wiring will allow me to direct replace my 496 with little fuss...that would be very attractive.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-02-2016, 01:12 PM
g3xpert's Avatar
g3xpert g3xpert is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 1,703
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBoston View Post
I transitioned to the iPad a long time ago but was using an Aera 510 for a while as well and will have to say this does have me interested.

Additional questions:

- Is there a logbook option which allows you to export your flights in non proprietary format (csv, etc)?

- Does the log function include track logging?

- While unlikely is there any chance that this subscription also includes the use of Garmin Pilot on the iPad considering the data is the same? It would be nice to have the iPad as a backup (or the other way around).

Thanks
Hello Jeff,

Glad to hear you are considering coming back from the dark side.

No logbook option. There is a flight log function that logs each flight including a track log that you can view, but no export capability.

No current ability to share a 660 database subscription with G.P.

Thanks,
Steve
__________________
Garmin G3X Support
g3xpert@garmin.com
1-866-854-8433 - 7 to 7 Central Time M to F
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Don Patrick's Avatar
Don Patrick Don Patrick is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 705
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweyant View Post
Really, I didn't know that...

Sort of a smart *** response don't you think?
I think it was a very genuine response. Some folks have less experience with such matters and a clear response like that is helpful to most.

Don
__________________
RV-8 build
Working on the finish kit!
C-GLOV (Reserved)
http://www.mykitlog.com/Don%20Patrick


2017 donation contributor.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-02-2016, 02:13 PM
edneff's Avatar
edneff edneff is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
3D Vision with Attitude
When you connect an aera 660 to a GTX 345, GDL 39 3D, or FlightStream 10/210 and provide attitude data to the aera 660, it even uses this information to provide pitch/roll/slip-skid data on the 3D Vision page.
Question about this:
I have a G3X Non touch, but with a GDL39... What is involved in getting attitude info to the new Aera? will wife suffice, or do I need a wire/cable, connecting to what?
__________________
RV7a bought and sold
RV7 bought and flying
CIFA, II, ME, G
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:21 PM
g3xpert's Avatar
g3xpert g3xpert is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 1,703
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by edneff View Post
3D Vision with Attitude
When you connect an aera 660 to a GTX 345, GDL 39 3D, or FlightStream 10/210 and provide attitude data to the aera 660, it even uses this information to provide pitch/roll/slip-skid data on the 3D Vision page.

Question about this:
I have a G3X Non touch, but with a GDL39... What is involved in getting attitude info to the new Aera? will wife suffice, or do I need a wire/cable, connecting to what?
Hello Ed,

You would need one of those devices listed above which provide attitude information to the aera 660 to show pitch/roll/slip-skid on the 3D Vision page. It sounds like you have a standard GDL 39 (not a GDL 39 3D) and it doesn't provide that data.

Just to be clear, you may still use the 3D Vision page, but it will show the little airplane flying over terrain like shown in one of the images we posted instead of the actual attitude information.

Thanks,
Steve
__________________
Garmin G3X Support
g3xpert@garmin.com
1-866-854-8433 - 7 to 7 Central Time M to F
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:31 PM
MikeS MikeS is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 72
Default

If the approach chart database expires and not re-newed, do the charts already on the unit disappear after a certain amount of time?

If so, do other charts disappear if not re-newed?

Thanks,

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-02-2016, 06:10 PM
g3xpert's Avatar
g3xpert g3xpert is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 1,703
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
If the approach chart database expires and not re-newed, do the charts already on the unit disappear after a certain amount of time?

If so, do other charts disappear if not re-newed?

Thanks,

Mike
Hello Mike,

When any of the databases expire, you will still have access to the data, including Garmin FliteCharts (approach plates, airport diagrams, etc. all remain active).

The only exception is that if you opt for Jeppesen ChartView instead of Garmin FliteCharts, Jeppesen requires that data to be disabled 70 days after it expires at which point you will no longer be able to access it.

Thanks,
Steve
__________________
Garmin G3X Support
g3xpert@garmin.com
1-866-854-8433 - 7 to 7 Central Time M to F
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:39 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.