What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tips on hanging the elevators for the first time.

RandyAB

Well Known Member
I'm just starting section 11 and was wondering if anybody had any tips on hanging the elevators. I'm understanding that they are more than likely going to have to come on and off multiple times but I'm struggling to get it on the first time let alone multiple times. Did people manage to do this solo or are multiple hands required? The cutout for the bearing in the elevator leading edge is very small and doesn't leave much room to get the hardware in.

If somebody had thought of an easy way to do this I'd love to hear it.

Put a 90-degree bend on some large nails, turning the nail into an upper-case "L". You can then hold the long end of the nail and use the short end as a temporary hold through the rod-end bearings until you can insert some AN3's.
Hope this helps.

Help

Yes, I was able to do it by myself but it was challenging. I found that bent nose locking forceps were really handy to grab the bolt with. They made installing the bolts much easier...

Put a 90-degree bend on some large nails, turning the nail into an upper-case "L". You can then hold the long end of the nail and use the short end as a temporary hold through the rod-end bearings until you can insert some AN3's.
Hope this helps.

Someone (I forget who) sells a nice commercial version of this. It has a tapered point for easy insertion, and is exactly the same diameter as the bolt. (get AN3 and AN4 sizes). Insert from what will be the nut side. When ready for bolts, insert them, pushing out the tool as you go. The tool will keep the parts aligned making for easy bolt insertion.
Or use the bent nail!

Used a bent welding rod....worked great. A pleasant surprise..... I had installed the rod end bearings 7/8" from centre of hole to spar as recommended in the manual and the elevator swings perfectly with a very uniform 1/8" gap between the counterbalance arm and the HS. I hope the right side goes as easily.

Allen Wrenches

Use allen wrenches to temporary hold the rod end in the bracket, and then using needle noses pliers push the bolt in from the opposite direction.

Building tips forum

Check in the building tips forum, old thread I posted years ago just brought current.

Sorry but I can't post a link, really limited by ipad ability.........or the users ability maybe.

I made up a special tool to hold the bolt in the required position.two pieces of offcut aluminium a bit wider than the bolt head. Put a slot in the end of one piece, to allow the shank of the bolt to just slip in and the top edge of the bolt head aligned with he end of the aluminium. Bend that piece, just below the slot, 90 degrees, then bend again 90 in the opposite direction about 1.5" from the first bend. You now have a holder for the bolt, that can go up into the opening, away from the bearing and then up and push the bolt in. The second piece of aluminiunm goes behind the bolt head, bends down to parallel the first piece and then down parallel again.
Put the bolt in the slot, put the second piece of aluminium against the head, hold both pieces together, or even use elastic bands to hold them.
Slide into the opening, push up to align the bolt, push it in and your done.
A picture would be easier, but I don't have one and don't know how to put a sketch on here.

Lol. I just did this yesterday. Solo.
Possibly via sheer force of will and balancing the elevators on my knees I was able to hang and get everything done.

Took me a few tries to remember the elevator doesn?t need to be in trail when you go to put the bolts in. Actually you have more (ish) room to work if the elevator is up or down, whichever is best for you.
Using needle nose pliers was ?fun? but i got it to work.

I was got lucky and got the bolt distances correct on the first go by using a ruler to try to keep things even. YMMV.

Lol. I just did this yesterday. Solo.
Possibly via sheer force of will and balancing the elevators on my knees I was able to hang and get everything done.

Took me a few tries to remember the elevator doesn?t need to be in trail when you go to put the bolts in. Actually you have more (ish) room to work if the elevator is up or down, whichever is best for you.
Using needle nose pliers was ?fun? but i got it to work.

I was got lucky and got the bolt distances correct on the first go by using a ruler to try to keep things even. YMMV.

Ya that was pretty much my experience. Now I'm an old pro at it. :)

Back