VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-10-2013, 02:29 PM

Default Internal memory battery replacement EKP-IV

Iíve been flying my AvMap EKP-IV for about 5 years now. Really like the unit and still think it is a very cost effective GPS. I have mine panel mounted and run it off of the aircraft power exclusively, I donít keep any batteries in the unit.

Lately Iíve noticed if I donít fly often, the GPS loses its configuration information. If I fly every week or so itís OK but if the plane sits a few weeks without flying, the GPS goes stupid and I have to reconfigure it including the NMEA sentences sent to my Dynon unit for AP control. I tried hooking the EKP up to a power supply at home and left it on for a day or so to see if that would charge up the internal battery but it didnít seem to help.

So, has anyone replaced the internal battery on an EKP-IV unit? I havenít opened my unit up yet but thought if someone has already replaced their battery, I could get a part number, order a new one and hopefully replace it myself. I really donít want to send the unit in for service and Iím pretty sure I can replace the battery myself even if itís soldered in.
OneX - Under Construction - For Sale
Old 11-10-2013, 02:46 PM

My AvMap EKP IV has what appear to be rechargable AA batteries. Don't recall if they are Nicads or Lithiums or ??? but should be easy to find out. Probably buy them at Batteries Plus.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:45 PM

The AA batteries are for powering the unit in a standalone or portable mode. I'm referring to a small (possibly button type or with solder leads) battery I suspect is mounted internally in the unit. I don't even know if the unit has one of these but it probably does and it would use it to maintain a low power memory device that remembers configuration data when the unit is powered off.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:22 PM

Just a quick followup on my earlier post; I decided not to try and replace the RAM battery myself. I took the back off the unit and saw the button battery had a tab welded to it and it was buried in silicone on the main PCB. I probably could have replaced it myself but didn't want to risk voiding any future warranty work I may need on the unit.

I contacted Avmap support via email and they have a fixed cost, battery replacement program which I took advantage of. The cost was $125 + one-way shipping to MA. Avmap actually replaces the entire main PCB. I assume the old PCB eventually gets reworked in a factory environment.

Anyway, the whole process took less than a week and I'm quite satisfied with the result. This is the first time I have had to send my Avmap GPS in for service. I'm still very happy with the unit after about 6 years of use.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:24 AM

Good to know as mine is starting to behave the same way. Frustrating....
Building Log: www.mykitlog.com/n539rv
APRS Tracking: aprs.fi/n539rv
2017 Paid
Old 05-21-2017, 01:55 AM

Default Avmap wiring

Has anybody wired the Avmap IV to both a DB-9 plug and Autopilot
would you have a wiring diagram
any help appreciated
Peter