VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-18-2020, 01:34 AM

Default Hanger/garage base radio

My old Sportys AM/FM/Air frequencies base radio has seen better days and I want to replace it. Looking for the best reception (range) that I can buy. Any suggestions? Thanks, Ed
Old 01-18-2020, 07:33 AM

FWIW I purchased a Sporty's Air Scan II Radio and really like it. I have it connected to an antenna on the outside of my hangar and get very good reception range.

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 01-19-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:21 AM

Oooh, a BT music speaker that'll break in with air transmissions? I like this. I've been meaning to get some kind of receiver for the hangar ever since we moved here like three years ago, but never got around to it. I've just had my A6 hanging on a wall plugged in all the time...
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/
Old 01-18-2020, 08:28 AM

To pick up a signal from a greater distance, you will need a better antenna.

I have a BC365CRS in my house to listen to local landing and departing traffic. It works well. I purchased a factory refurbished one for about 1/2 price of what the street price is two years ago. I use an Icom A200 in the hangar with a ham radio 2-meter antenna that has been tuned to air band frequencies.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:41 PM

Or build one out of a 3"x3" piece of aluminum, some 12ga solid copper wire (Home Depot) a Female BNC connector or an SO-239 connector. If you use an SO-239 connector you won't need the piece of aluminum but your coax cable will require a PL-259 connector on one end instead of a BNC connector.

Cut the wires to the appropriate length (use whatever local frequency you want to monitor or 127.5Mhz) then solder/hook them up. The vertical radial (A) will be about 22.00" long while the horizontal elements (B) will be about 24.64" long and bent down about 45degrees.

Put the antenna on the outside of your hangar/home and the increase in reception distance will be amazing.

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 01-19-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:28 AM

As you can see in this photo, exact lengths and the 45 degree bends are not super critical for a receiver.

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 01-19-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:30 PM

Default Thank you Galin

Thank you for the diagram and most importantly, the picture! I will build your antennae. Since I can build the antenna but know nothing about antennas, etc., please advise as to what the cable to the radio is. My lead from the antenna to the garage will be about 40 '. Shielded like the TV antenna - think they call it T-6???? Thanks again, Ed
Old 01-19-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. D. Eliot View Post
Thank you for the diagram and most importantly, the picture! I will build your antennae. Since I can build the antenna but know nothing about antennas, etc., please advise as to what the cable to the radio is. My lead from the antenna to the garage will be about 40 '. Shielded like the TV antenna - think they call it T-6???? Thanks again, Ed
For this application "cheap" RG58, or even RG59 cable will do just fine. If you want to be "fancy" buy a professionally made RG400 cable but IMHO it isn't worth the extra $$$. Also, for "best" reception use at least 3 horizontal elements with 4 being the most common used.

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 01-19-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:52 PM

Default Eight?

I can do eight or twelve if the reception will be worth the effort - please advise - thanks, Ed
Old 01-20-2020, 02:42 AM

I've got an old RadioShack PRO-2052 scanner in the airplane factory and a homemade half-wave antenna mounted to my house's roof (built as described here). Very good reception, can pick up comms from aircraft at good distances, but unfortunately can't receive much from ground stations, even the local KLVK tower.
Donated 12/16/2019
RV-7A: Empennage and wing kits complete minus fiberglass, fuselage 90% complete. Canopy in progress.
N12VD and N23VD reserved... Another decision!