What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition Training with Jetguy

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Just got back from several days of flying with John (Jetguy) at Propwash! Very exciting, although I had flown in UL powered and Viking powered planes, this was my very first in a Rotax powered one. Flying a 12 was certainly more pleasant than I had anticipated, but John had not only to teach me to fly the RV12, he also had to do the rusty pilot update stuff on me, it has been almost exactly 24 years since I stopped flying! It all started to come back (slowly) and I thought I was done and proficient, but John has this hangup that after landing the plane should be reusable, so I need to go back for some more work, especially on landing!
For those thinking about using him for training, he is the most professional instructor I have had the pleasure to learn under. I had dreams last night of him telling me "keep the nose wheel up", "you are 500 feet above your assigned altitude", "you are 10 degrees off course, look at that magenta line", "why are you flying 110 mph in the pattern?", "get on that right rudder", etc, etc. Did not know ones skills could erode that much in only 24 years!

I know what you mean, Don. I am in the same boat, learning the new Dynon system in my RV-7A and wrapping my brain around it all at the same time.

The airplane is a joy to fly but knocking the rust off is going to take a few more delightful hours.

Last edited:
Many of us cut our RV-12 teeth on JetGuy's plane. I think I read a number of months after my training that he needed to replace his nose fork due to cracking (I'm sure a few of my landings contributed to that:D). Have never dropped the nose on the runway with my RV-12 nearly as hard so clearly he worked that bad behavior out of me! thanks JetGuy.

PS Don, so if you are doing transition training, that must mean you are only a year to two away from the first flight then?

No, I have my AW cert and just need to learn how to fly it. He showed me the old nose wheel fork that you probably busted up for him. I am working over his new one now. Better his than mine I say!

Just got back from several days of flying with John (Jetguy) at Propwash! Very exciting, although I had flown in UL powered and Viking powered planes, this was my very first in a Rotax powered one. Flying a 12 was certainly more pleasant than I had anticipated, but John had not only to teach me to fly the RV12, he also had to do the rusty pilot update stuff on me, it has been almost exactly 24 years since I stopped flying! It all started to come back (slowly) and I thought I was done and proficient, but John has this hangup that after landing the plane should be reusable, so I need to go back for some more work, especially on landing!
For those thinking about using him for training, he is the most professional instructor I have had the pleasure to learn under. I had dreams last night of him telling me "keep the nose wheel up", "you are 500 feet above your assigned altitude", "you are 10 degrees off course, look at that magenta line", "why are you flying 110 mph in the pattern?", "get on that right rudder", etc, etc. Did not know ones skills could erode that much in only 24 years!

Boy Don....the landing part of your transition training sounds exactly like my experience with Mike Seager. He had the same issue...I was suppose to keep the plane reusable for the next day. Had to get additional practice in before BFR sign-off.

Back