What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

intersection fairings

dougknight

Well Known Member
Some where in my many web surfings I ran across a company offering pre made fairings for the gear leg to fuse intersection. Also the gear leg to wheel pant intersection. I'm in the debate process as to make my own or just buy them out right, but cannot recall whom was offering them. The process of making your own sounds kinda messy and time consuming (moldiing clay and laying fiberglass etc.). Anybody able to help as to who is manufacturing them would be much appreciated.

Thanks
doug
N625DK

fairings etc.

I'll second the recomendation for Bob. Unless you'r into fiberglass, the learning curve aint worth it. Bobs stuff is top rate.

Fairings

Vans sells them now too...
I third, buying them instead of making them and I like fiberglass work actually!
but I'd rather be flying than doing fiberglass work.
Bob Martin
RV-6
Louisa VA

Aero-Strategies Unlimited Fairings

I've posted some pictures of the fairings I got from Aero-Strategies Unlimited (http://www.aerosu.com/part3.htm) on my website... See my pictures at http://www.eaa582.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=19

I was very impressed with the fit and finish of all the fairings, the outer surfaces were paint-ready with no pinholes. I got the 7 piece epoxy kit which included the upper and lower main gear leg fairings and the upper nose leg fairing.

I'm just a very satisfied customer and I'm not affiliated with Aero-Strategies Unlimited in any manner, I paid full price for the parts I got from them.

Last edited:
How to fasten RV 7A main intersection fairing

Yes, but how do you fasten the fairings? My leg fairings are on. The intersection fairings I bought fit fine. But how do you fasten them? Screws and platenuts to the fuselage? Specially asking about a 7A.

Photos of where you placed screws would be most appreciated.

I used Van's fairings on my RV-9A. I did use the clay moulding technique for the upper nose gear fairing, which went just fine.

Lots of pictures of the process on my web pages

Intersection Fairings

Bruce
Excellent, you did a great job, and better, you have great photos that show a lot of details and answer a lot of questions. Thanks for your extra efforts on this. I am now ready to go finish mine.

You didn't say if you are building a -9 or a -9A. If building a -9, the intersection fairings for the -7 will not work. The reason is the gear legs on the -9 are longer and are at a different angle.

I bought fairings for the -7 and after trying to get them to work, I ended up making my own.

Van's and Fairings Etc. may sell the fairings now but back when I was first flying, they did not have fairings for the -9.

Back