What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Options

gfb

Well Known Member
I have a fuse on order and am thinking through any add/delete items. I know this has been talked to pieces in other threads, but as a newbie I am rather lost as to why some things were swapped out. Don't get me wrong, I am all about spending money on good upgrades...

Grove cylinders? Why?
Beringer wheels/brakes/parking brake?
- are these worth it? Should I also go with their master cyl/reservoirs? expensive! :)
- http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/beringer5rv.php?clickkey=38763
- http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/beringer5rvfinishing.php?clickkey=38763

Replace all hoses for teflon or other fancyness?

Also, parking brake? Worth it?

I've been flying my -6 for 22 years without a parking brake. Have only wished I had one maybe twice.
But, I seldom fly solo. Ann is usually there to hold the brakes while I get out and chock.
If you fly solo a lot, a parking brake would probably come in handy more times than not.

I like my brake when my head is down copying clearances.

Agreed, it isn't necessary.

...just nice to have.

:cool: CJ

I see you're in Wisconsin, and I imagine it can sometimes get windy there. I've only been flying less than a year but in Kansas I have come to really appreciate my parking brake. When flying solo the parking brake is often the only way to keep my plane from rolling away at the fuel pump before I can get out and off the wing to chock it. And this is with a slider canopy.

If you have a tip-up (think sailboat) I bet it can be even worse.

Ok, sounds like parking brake is a yes.

Any thoughts on going with the beringer fuse kit? Its almost $2k... I definitely want to go with braided hoses and adding the parking brake is a bit of extra cash but I don't think that fancy red anodizing is worth all that money :)

I just started flying lessons again and reconsidering leaving out the parking brake. I didn't think I needed it, but I do fine it helpful for run-up and as previously said by CJ, writing clearances.

I guess it is time to go to the Vans site and look up the parts!

I'll chime in considering this is leaning towards Beringer discussion. I am/will fly almost exclusively solo. So we've gotten the debate about parking brake out of the way. Why did I go Beringer? Because, in one fell swoop, I added in:

• A failsafe against me stomping down on the brakes during a short-field landing, and having the brakes lock up.
  • Replacing the stock Matco master cylinders in general (you'd want to do this anyway)
  • Replacing the tires in the finish kit with tubeless ones (a good idea in general, IMO)
  • Replacing the wheels with sealed bearings (again, sealing the bearings so you don't have to go through repacking them is another one of those things that you'd do as a near-required Good Thing [tm] if you've read VAF enough).
  • Getting flexible stainless braided lines all the way down to the wheels - less futzing with bending and probably kinking aluminum lines.

All that above, in one kit. You've just taken care of a number of popular aftermarket actions, plus replaced a good chunk of the finish kit (wheels / tires).

BTW, in my fuse kit in general, I had the factory eliminate all aluminum tubing that would've been used for oil and fuel lines. It's just easier, IMO, to call up Tom @ TS Flightlines and do flexible braided stainless Teflon tubing for everything.

Probably better to just contact Beringer directly. A little over a year ago, when I bought mine, they were running a special where the first RV builder from each local EAA chapter was given a 30% discount. Don't know if that's still being offered.

Just sent them an email. If the 30% is still good... well, I'm warming up my credit-card :)

Discount

Probably better to just contact Beringer directly. A little over a year ago, when I bought mine, they were running a special where the first RV builder from each local EAA chapter was given a 30% discount. Don't know if that's still being offered.

I jumped on that one too. Great discount.
I asked Vans to credit the items from the Fuse order but someone mentioned selling them on VAF is a better idea because Vans credits at cost.

Let us know the prices . .

The exchange rate for Euros is really good for the US and it might be a big benefit there alone.

Things I did and wouldn't change:
Parking brake
Right brake peddles
Changed to stainless brake lines inside. (Started with them on the outside.)
Affordable Panels Panel (If you are going to cut your own panel)
AndAir fuel valve
SafeAir1 Static port and lines (Dynon Pitot & Gretz Aero pitot mast)
Interior by Classic Aero (I did this after flying for a few years.)
DJM Center throttle quadrant!!!

Double-endorsement for most of Bill's additions. I knew there was a whole list of things I did but slipped my mind.

N941WR said:
Parking brake Same - Beringer
Right brake peddles Same
Changed to stainless brake lines inside. Same - Beringer
AndAir fuel valve Same - Requirement with EFII
SafeAir1 Static port and lines Same
Interior by Classic Aero Same - Almost certainly will. Waffled on choosing between them and Oregon for a long while. I'm now leaning back to Classic
DJM Center throttle quadrant!!! Same - Just got mine from Dayton. Great guy to work with!

Only thing I'm not doing is the Affordable Panels panel. I'll have Stein cut mine. I'll also be building my own console, based on another VAF'ers designs he sent me. It's a little less wide than the Aircraft Extras console, and gives a little more room for us long-leggers.

A pic of the throttle-only center throttle that Dayton did for me. It's all I need, since the EFII system takes care of the mixture, and I'm going to run a Catto prop.

IMAG0348.jpg

Back