What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bevel counterbalance skin

WVM

Well Known Member
On DWG4 near the counterbalance skin there is a note:
"Locally bevel outside edge to smooth transition of E-901 skin as it runs off the edge of the counterbalance skin".
I have honestly no clue what they try to accomplish. What should I exactly do? Maybe someone has a picture to explain it?
Thank you!

Don't have a picture handy... But, working on my rudder at this point as well.

Believe they are just trying to prevent a gap between the skin and the rudder top rib behind the counterbalance skin. If you cleco it all together without the bevel, you'll see that there is a pretty noticeable gap there.

When you take some of the material away, it'll lay much flatter along this area.

If you fit the counterbalance in place, you will see that the aft end of the counterbalance skin is underneath the 901 elevator skin. What you want to do is bevel that aft end of that counterbalance skin, as well as the side of it where the elevator skin rides up and over it. That's the inboard side, ~2" worth of overlap. Hope that makes a little sense...

Edit: here's a pic

wmdsn7.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
Many thanks!

On the rare pictures that I can find, most beveled the complete edge. Actually none is according to what the (current) plan suggests to bevel; At least not to my interpretation. Also refer to this post for another example: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=40635&highlight=bevel&page=2

When looking at the plans of the right elevator "top view". There is an arrow with comment "AN246AD3-4.5 SPAR TO ELEVATOR SKIN TO COUNTERBALANCE SKIN RIVETS". That bevel makes sense to me. The E-902 spar in underneath the skin on top and it will indeed lead to a gap. But the other bevel area at the outer edge makes no sense at all to me. The plans suggest to bevel the edge of the counterbalance skin where you find the arrow with comment "NOTE: E-901-R ELEVATOR SKIN OVERLAPS E-913 COUNTERBALANCE SKIN". Again probably pretty logic as you have to E-903 tip rib under it... But what about the hole on the right of it? This will connect to the E-912 tip... And why not do the hole on the other side, as most appear to be doing...

Did you guys bevel based on the actual results and ignored the suggested area in the plans? Have they changed plans? Or what is the reason? Everything is ready to be assembled I rather not mess it up now. :)

Is it correct that I only should bevel the top side?

Last edited:
Back