What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center bulkhead double-checks

sbalmos

Well Known Member
Two questions about the center bulkhead I thought I'd double-check with the braintrust:

1) The side cap, it looks like its one flange is supposed to slip underneath, and be match-drilled, to the forward flange of the armrest? So the order from aft to forward would be armrest flange, center cap, center bulkhead? See below.

IMAG0317.jpg

2) On the side skin, when discussing pre-riveting the doubler plate... It mentions that for the forward row, to only rivet the upper 5 holes, leaving the 6th one open. I'm not sure why - it doesn't connect to the forward center bulkhead, the landing gear web, etc. My gut says scratch my head, rivet it, and move on. Either that, or more likely, I just started pre-riveting one rivet too high. :) No harm done.

Somewhat related (okay, *3* questions... No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!)...

3) The two bottom-most holes in the side skin for the center section, the forward one goes into the landing gear web also. This one, and the aft center section's bottom side skin hole, are drilled for #40. But the rivet callouts call for a #30 hole - a 470-AD4 in one and an LP4 blind rivet in the other. Just want to double-check these callouts before I drill open those holes.

IMAG0318_1.jpg

IMAG0320_1.jpg

Thanks all!

1) Yes, that order is correct, I found it buried in the plans somewhere.

2) Don't remember, and not at home to check

3) Yes, I remember having to enlarge those holes.

Chris

Back