What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-999 fairing

rjcthree

Well Known Member
I need to decide to trim the edge of the F-999 wing to fuse fairing. my gap is about 1/8", not the 3/16"-1/4" of the plans. Did anybody live with a smaller gap? Thanks, Rick 90432

When to fit this part?

I was just wondering about this. Where is it listed in the instructions? My fuselage instructions just say "Wing root fairings are supplied in the finish kit"

I've just Attached my wings and match drilled the bottom skins, so I think now is a good time to fit these.

How did you guys fit these parts? Seems tricky to match the holes in the wing while matching the shape of the fuselage. There must be an easy way?

Last edited:
Dave,

One needs to fit the wings only once if you match drill the fairings now while the wings are on the fuselage (otherwise, you have to put the wings on to match drill later, and then pull the wings to install nutplates). Then you can install nutplates and only reinstall wings once more - the final install.

I recall that the fairings are cut pretty closely to correct - at least they will fit on the wing so you can drill them without any trimming. Drill and cleco, mark your trim line and that's it. You can then install the appropriate nutplates on the wing roots after you pull the wings off.

Cheers,
Greg

Ugh.

I agree with Greg on the fit, the holes match well, pick a couple good bending mandrels for shape, and test fit using some other portion of the wing or a spare rib for speed.

Trimming 1/16" off a 4' piece of curved aluminum will be no fun.

Rick 90432

How did you guys fit these parts? Seems tricky to match the holes in the wing while matching the shape of the fuselage. There must be an easy way?

I never found an easy way. Getting the fuse-side edge with the right gap was a "multiple iteration" process ... a minor PITA. Matching the screw holes up is no problem, but the inside edge takes patience. That gap is important; if it's too small, you struggle and cuss at the rubber strip. If too big, the rubber strip won't stay in place in flight.

I found this pretty easy. Fit the fairing, bend, drill and countersink and then mount. Find a Sharpie that is the right size and lay it on the fuse and follow the fuse around marking the fairing. I found one that was the perfect gap.

Hey Rick-
My friend Dennis laid up some really slick fiberglass fairings for his RV8. Eliminates the rubber seal thing, and really looks great. Did the same on a certain F1 Rocket that we play with here.
Tom

I found this pretty easy. Fit the fairing, bend, drill and countersink and then mount. Find a Sharpie that is the right size and lay it on the fuse and follow the fuse around marking the fairing. I found one that was the perfect gap.

That's exactly what I did on my wings. When you know it marks the right gap, just hold the sharpie on the side of the fuse and run it along, marking the fairing. Then it's relatively easy to cut to near the mark, and finish it with your vixen file right down to the line.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I'm working on these this morning and I can not seem to find the weather stripping. I'm also not finding any reference to the weather stripping in the plans, it just talks about leaving a 1/4 inch gap.

Aren't you supposed to have some weather stripping between the wing and the fuse? If so does anyone have the part number for me please?

Thanks,

-Dan

Part number on Vans website: RUBBER CHANNEL X 12', cost $10.65.

Should have been included in the finish kit. Look inside the spinner - that's where mine was, all rolled up in a coil.

Last edited:
Back