What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Marker beacon location

Mycool

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

Has anyone installed a marker beacon on fuselage? I have the comant MB antenna. I know it says to install clear of any obstructions like gear legs. If some one already did the research and located a good spot on the bottom end, it would help me out a lot.

MK

I?m also planning to install a MB antenna. Any experience on that would be appreciated.
My Idea is currently to install it under the fuselage behind the baggage compartment r/h of the elevator pushrod.

Kai

For my MB antenna, I used the aluminum heat shield in the bottom of the engine cowling.

A friend in a -7 uses a copper rod bonded to the lower cowling just below the piano hinges.

Both work fine for us.

Wing Tip

I have a copper strip bonded in the wing tip. Mine the Bob Archer design but there are many DIY variations.

DIY

Courtesy of Bob Archer by way of AeroElectric Bob -

Marker Beacon antenna: A simple and cheap antenna
can be fabbed by installing a 40" long conductor in a
wing tip under the wingtip VOR antenna about 3" from
the end of the metal of the wing. Connect a center
conductor of a coax to one end of it, ground the braid if
you like, not necessary, and you are home free.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Antennas/Antennas_for_Aircraft.pdf

Receive only, so a small diameter co-ax like RG-174 will be OK and easier to route.

I guess I have to ask the question "why a marker beacon?" Assuming you're going to have an IFR GPS IMHO the MB is a waste of time/money/weight/panel space.

MB

I have decided to go with steam gauges with a 430, I like the purpose of the aircraft and to keep the flying outside outside and focusing a lot on a panel with a lot of info. I am comfortable flying IFR with the basics. And on top of that I want to teach family and friends IFR.

Back