What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting wing skins

RVdreamin

Any tips on riveting wings skins....I have heard back-riveting, using tape on rivet to protect skin, and using tape on mushroom head to protect skin. When I riveted the HS and VS I used the rivet tape on the rivets and it turned out pretty well, but always open to new ideas.

Riveting skins

If you have short arms like me, draft a partner.
Swivel mushroom set with rubber guard, tungsten bar and heavy clear packing tape works great. I couldn't get consistency with the back rivet method. YMMV

I could do most of them by myself, but if I recall there were 3-4 along each row that I couldn't reach and my wife helped me with those. She ran the gun. I also used a rubber protector around my rivet gun and a tungsten bucking bar, and tape to hold the rivets in place. Just take your time. No rush. I found I got tired/frustrated quickly while driving these rivets because I was kneeling and reaching while the wings were still in the wing stand. I probably didn't choose the best method to rivet my skins while still in the wing stand.

Last edited:
Wing skins

I could do most of them by myself, but if I recall there were 3-4 along each row that I couldn't reach and my wife helped me with those. She ran the gun. I also used a rubber protector around my rivet gun and a tungsten bucking bar, and tape to hold the rivets in place. Just take your time. No rush. I found I got tired/frustrated quickly while driving these rivets because I was kneeling and reaching while the wings were still in the wing stand. I probably didn't choose the best method to rivet my skins while still in the wing stand.

Good tips.
I forgot. I use gorilla tape around the end of the bar to keep from scratching parts. On the bottom skins where you buck blind, I made a shim for the bar so it was lay on the bottom spar with the face perpendicular to the rivet shank. Then I taped a piece of string to the bar for a lanyard so I couldn't drop it inside the wing.
My wings were in the jig. I checked them periodically to make sure no twist was developing. Two rolling mechanics stools from Home Depot took care of the comfort. Finally, a bucket or small table with several small paper bowls held rivets. Use a marker to write the size of the rivet in the bottom of the bowl. Only dump as many as needed for the session in case they fall.

Backriveting the wing skins produced excellent results for me! There are just a few little tricks to be aware of. I described it all on my log page, here:

Backriveting the Wing Skins

Basically, you'll need a long double-offset backriveting set. I got mine from Avery Tools.

100_5064%20(Small).JPG

My son bucked the rivets from the front side. A piece of rivet tape over the bucking bar gave perfect results and was easy to use. Change it out once in a while as it wears out. The main trick to getting good results is that you have to turn the air pressure WAY up. I normally shoot #40 rivets with about 30 to 34 lbs. pressure. This heavy rivet set needs more power. Turn it up to about 80 lbs. and you'll find it works very well. It's fun and works great!

100_5062%20(Small).JPG

I sat on a stool and shot the rivets:

100_5063%20(Small).JPG

My finished wing skins:

100_5067%20(Small).JPG

Last edited:
I was thinking bottom wing skins

After seeing Bruce's post, his method is the one I used to rivet my top wing skins. In my earlier post, I was thinking of my bottom wing skins.

I used a tungsten bucking bar and a flush set. I put duct tape on the sides of the bar that I was not using to buck. I also used rivet tape on the rivet set. It worked really well. I also recommend working with a partner, makes it that much easier.

A rubber skirted swivel mushroom set and tungsten bucking bar gave much better and more consistent results than back riveting with the Avery double offset back rivet set.

It seemed so easy in comparison, and helps train you for riveting the bottom skins, when you can't see what you're doing...

Get help if you can

I'm sure a lot of the wing skins can be done solo, but I highly recommend getting help if you can. I had my daughter help me do most of it. In my opinion the talent and experience is on the bucking bar end. Just tell your partner to hold the rivet gun tight against and perpendicular to the surface and tell them how many taps you want (ask for less than you think you need, you can always ask for more)...

I had good luck with a swivel mushroom head and a steel bucking bar

Back