What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to rivet F-728B to F-728A?

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
When constructing the 706 bulkhead the instructions say to not rivet F-728A (Bellcrank Channel) to F-728B (Bellcrank Channel Angle). I'm about to begin assembling the fuselage after much deburring, smoothing and priming, but I'm wondering when I should rivet the angle to the channel. I can't find in the instructions why this was delayed, nor when I should rivet these two piece together. If you remember, please let me know.

Thanks,
Michael-

I remember delaying that also, and questioning why. I never did find a time later on when it was needed and finally put the rivets in as I was finishing up the fuselage.

I might end up drilling them out at some point, but I don't see why...

I was on a roll that day and missed the instruction to delay riveting those. I've finished all the fuselage structure in that area, plus the canopy install, and had no issues due to it.

Cannot remember back that far, but I have a journal entry of Feb. 2005 drilling the 728B angle to the 728A channel:
http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/index.php?c=3#563
Then skip to Oct. 2005 when I finally riveted them together:
http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/index.php?c=3#780
Not sure why the long time between but it was an very active building year for me - minus 4 months while I stopped for my new workshop to be built. But that is still five months between the two tasks. Hope this helps.

Just a followup note for anyone searching for this information.

I partially riveted the two together, then had to drill out those rivets. If you have the two riveted together, you'll have a significant challenge riveting F728A to the top of F706. So my suggestion would be to drill F-728B to F-728A, cleco them together while you get things set up, then remove 728B when you need to rivet 728A to the bulkhead. I'm also leaving it off while I rivet 728A to the bottom skin, just to give myself a little better access with the bucking bar.

On the bright side, I had less than half the rivets in before I figured this out. I was able to use the drill press to remove them, which makes things a little easier.

Back