Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-19-2019, 09:57 AM

Default OLD GEEZER UP DATE

Greetings,

I've been member of this forum for a while and have enjoyed the comradeship over the years. There are lots of good people here sharing a passion for flying and RV airplanes.

I am still flying. And perhaps to the delight of some old instructors with whom I've had exchanges here, have finally gotten close to 3 pointing the RV-7.

The tail dragger experience came late in life to me, age 75, so it was some challenge in the beginning, glad I did not wreck the RV-8.

The 7 belongs to a friend who asked me to fly it once in a while after he had open heart surgery. The RV- 8 I built at age 74 was sold to a friend about a year ago. Had this compulsion to down size, stop spending money, not knowing what was coming next after wife passed away. Flying the 7 has been a blessing, I still enjoy it.

But at this stage of life, question keeps popping up, when should one quit? Common sense says no one flies forever. And end up a statistic due to pilot ego because the envelope was inadvertently exceeded, like I can do this forever, makes no sense. Is somewhat of a dilemma making decision on this subject.

Beyond that, I've decided to get married again. I hate living alone, have reconnected with high school friend in Minnesota where I come from, will be moving back there this summer to be with her. She is widow and feels same about living alone. We go back long way to riding horses, milking cows on Minnesota farm 65 years ago as teenagers. It was not difficult getting reacquainted.

Anyway, just want to say Hi to forum, this place is great for what we are passionate about - Flying airplanes and in particular the RV's.

dd
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2019 This place is worth it!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:24 AM

Default WOW

WOW! Congratulations. Go for it. ALL of it.

I suspect that a lot of members in this forum can relate to your varied feelings.
RV8 N37PK
Old 03-19-2019, 10:28 AM

I'm only a few years behind you, but I've had a number of surgeries to muddy the waters. I have days when I feel as sharp as ever, and some days when...

My main guideline is to treat ageing phenomena like you would treat a cold or anything else. If you've having a good day, go for it. And if you're not, don't. As I age, the proportion of great days to other days is sliding in the wrong direction.

Phenomena I observe more and more are can't concentrate as long, more easily distracted, easier to over-focus on one task, multi-tasking is slower, easier to reach for the wrong knob. Kind of the things that trouble new pilots.

Another guideline is how many hour to fly in a day. I remember flying 10 hour days in my 20s, no problem. Don't do that no more!

Better to be down, wishing you was up than up, wishing you was down.

Ed
2019 dues slightly overpaid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 03-19-2019, 11:26 AM

David, it is good to hear from you. It is great to hear things are going well for you. Enjoy life buddy!!
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 03-19-2019, 11:57 AM

Default Don't give up!

Great message David, keep at it as long as you are comfortable. I try to fly every weekend to keep the rust off, and hope to stay current by staying current!

regards
-Marc
Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 PM

Good to hear from you again David and the life update.

Fly until you don't feel you're mentally and physically up to it any more. My father who was in a similar era to you, hung up his headphones on his 84th birthday.

Enjoy those other things in life too. Those MN winters can be cold though...

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 433.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old 03-19-2019, 02:00 PM

Default Age

Family friend flew solo at 95. John Miller, famous autogiro pilot from the 30's, flew solo at 99. Quite a few other examples.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:15 PM

David, great update, good news! Let us know where you will be in MN!

Alex
Old 03-19-2019, 03:16 PM

Thanks for sharing, David. The thread caught my eye because it's been on my mind a LOT lately. I'm into my 60s and started my build a lot later in life than anticipated. And of course as a first time builder, my timeline is proving itself to be unrealistic. I'm still hoping to fly my creation within a year or so, and I'm hoping to get at least ten years flying it before I retire. Trying to stay in good health to make my goals. Time will tell... it always does... and it has the last word.
RV-8 #83507 - currently working on finishing & firewall forward.
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2019... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 03-19-2019, 03:22 PM

Default Congratulations David!

Great news David! Really happy to hear you are doing well. Don't forget to buy a snow blower. Keep us posted!