What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inverted Oil - Removal

Jeeper

Hi,
Looking for a quick list of things I would need to do to remove a LYC-320 Christian Inverted Oil System and return the engine to a normal configuration. Thought ? Thanks, Mike

Most of the "permanent" changes are welding on the sump, so I'd start looking for a stock sump to buy or trade for yours. Yours is now worth a premium, so I would imagine finding a stock one to replace it will be easy, as well as financially advantageous for you. After that, its probably just a matter of removing that snake's nest of hoses and equipment, and restoring the breather system to standard.

If you have a horizontal screen sump, you would also want to remove the Christen 805 sump plug (the plug installed with the special installation tool). You would also need to replace the sump screen with an unmodified screen, since the installed one has likely been shortened.

There is a plug in the screen housing in the sump that needs to be removed. Seems it takes about a #8 or #10 threaded rod to grab onto it in order to remove it.

Inverted Oil

You will also need a cap for the lower screen as the Christen system eliminates the cap.
Many sumps are in use with no mods. If you do have a sump that is modified plug the hole with the same pn plug as the oil drain. No need to buy a new sump unless some radical, off the wall mod has been done. If you have the optional vacuum pad oil pickup you will need to plug that or remove the adapter and install a cover.

If you must remove it...

You might want to keep the oil separator (the canister) as it is the best air/oil separator on the market. If you want to take out the oil shuttle valve (the thing with three hoses connected) you can remove the bottom hose from the sump and put a plug in that hole. The middle hose is connected to the rear of the oil sump. Remove the hose and the fitting. The oil screen will come out with the fitting. Use a long (6 inch) AN-3 bolt or #10 threaded rod to pull out the plug that the oil screen was seated in. You will have to replace the oil screen with a new one as the one you pull out has been shortened to accommodate the plug. You will replace the fitting with the original fitting that holds the oil screen in place. Or you can keep the Christen fitting and cap it. The top hose may be connected to the "T" in the vent line or to a fitting that attaches to the vacuum pump boss. If it attaches to the "T" in the vent line, remove the "T" and replace with a connector. If it goes to the vacuum boss you can remove it and replace the fitting with a blank plate or just cap the fitting.

If you decide to remove the canister, remove the bottom fitting from the sump and plug the hole. Remove the top hose and run the engine vent hose from the engine to the cowling exit.

Whatever you remove can be sold on VAF, hoses and all. (I would recommend that you replace the Christen fittings with the Lycoming originals rather than cap them, only because the Christen fittings are worth good money if you decide to sell the system.)

Inverted oil - removal

Thanks guys. Used a whittled wood dowel to remove the Christian screen plug. Just need to find a stock Lycoming 320 stock 4.5 inch long screen and oil sump end cap. Any ideas ? Mike

Parts

The screen and cap are not real expensive. Try Dart Aircraft in Waco TX for ECI or Superior parts.. Five years ago the screen was only around $5. You could also try Colorado Air Parts for used parts.

Thanks guys. Used a whittled wood dowel to remove the Christian screen plug. Just need to find a stock Lycoming 320 stock 4.5 inch long screen and oil sump end cap. Any ideas ? Mike

I did not need to shorten the screen when adding the Christen system. Is it possible some of the caps or fittings have a longer recess in them?

Plug

This plug ya'll or talking about, is this in the horizontal screen sump. I have a vertical screen sump and I have just removed a Christin Inverted Oil system. I didn't see any plug, but before I run it, I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks.

Back