What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sika application temp?

dwranda

Well Known Member
I want to finally glue my canopy down but the temps have taken a turn for the worse. I see the Sikaflex instructions say don't apply under 50 degrees. Tomorrow is the only day in the next 2 weeks that is close to 60. Has anyone applied it in these temps? I would be applying it in the 50's but the overnight temps will be 40ish. Should I be concerned???

Arrhenius equation dictates that for every 10degC drop in temperature, the reaction rate will double, so you will need to keep this in mind regarding cure times before you release the clamps. My experience is that these moisture activated polyurethanes work fine down to just above freezing. At freezing point the reaction rates drop to virtually nothing, I suspect because the water they need to react with is locked down in ice form. This is the reason you always want to store these tubes in the freezer as soon as you're done with them. They get harder to pump as it gets colder, so make sure you have a robust gun to put the tubes in.
Tom.
RV-7

Back