What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mental Gyros Recalibrated

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
So Doug goes off and has a gorgeous morning flight. Hmmm.

I was planning to do the same this morning in the RV-8, but the overnight forecast was for the temperature to drop to the dew point, as often happens in coastal Georgia. 45 minutes ago, the weather was clear and forever. Now it is 0.75 BR VV001.

No early morning flight today! And if I do go for a morning walk, it won't be hot, but the reported humidity is 93%.

Doug's article is beautifully written and pretty much describes how most if not all of us feel about flight and the magical euphoria that drives us!

Early morning flights like that are just absolutely the best! Complete with the quietness of the world around us, leaving us as lucky aviators to forget about all our worldly problems for a short while and go own the sky!

Paul, perhaps a guest article in Kitplanes for this one???

Evening flights can be comparably wonderful. I've always been amazed at how quiet airports can be on a Saturday evening with excellent flying conditions.

Absolutely on the evening flights!! Especially right at dusk when city lights are just starting to come up and all the thermals of the day have settled, leaving silky smooth air! The criteria mentioned so far in this thread work equally well in boats too, but that's for a different forum! ;)

Ed,

You should have stayed in Kalifornia

Bob Grigsby

Flying J3-C65 Cub
Building SB 3B
2016+dues paid

Georgia morning fog has always been tricky.
In times past there was a F-86 all weather training school at Moody by Valdosta.
One memorable Thursday which became known as Black Thursday, a morning launch occurred into clear skies and by noon a gaggle of 86's had landed on various Georgia hiways and country roads.
Moody had suddenly gone zero-zero for no good reason then known to weather forecasters. :)

Back