VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-29-2009, 06:43 PM

Default Meet Sully

Things are a bit slow around the office, so when the call came in asking if I could help transport a boxer from Indy to Minne, it was an easy YES. If the weather was good, I could swing it. The Boxer ladies had coordinated a 2 hop flight from Eagle Creek Airpark to Minne to help out the saddest case I have seen yet, Sully. Allegedly, Sully was caught in the middle of a fight between a married couple that were not getting along. One spouse left and the other took it out on the dog by not feeding him for several weeks.

Here is how he looked when they first got him. It was touch and go to see if he would make it thru the night.

Hard to ignore that one. He is emaciated beyond belief.

WX stunk on Monday, so we scrubbed, but Tuesday was beautiful. Mike out of KEYE and I agreed to meet at 1:30 at Aurora, IL to exchange the pooch. The flight down was great - Approach cleared me into the bravo right up to 7500 for the trip down. That's Minne - way down there....

Yep, it is cold down there. Comfy in the cockpit with the sun on me, tho. Past Winona, this is over the Mighty Mississippi just north of Lacrosse, WI. The bluffs are on the Cheesehead side of the river.

Mississippi south of Lacrosse...

Ice chunks in the Rock River over Rockford.....

10mi SE of Rockford, Approach turned me loose and I descended to land on an ice covered runway at KARR. The nice people at Lumanair allowed us to bring Sully in to warm up. I met Mike and Sully, paid for my gas, and we were off. Given some food, this will be a gentle giant of a dog.

Very good natured, he put his head on my lap as soon as the O-320 started purring:

The only way to fly!

The trip home was very quiet at 6500. The winds had dissipated, so we made pretty good time. I dropped Sully off at Red Wing to meet his foster family. They will fix him up real quick and find a permanent family for him.

I departed Red Wing and hustled home to Anoka to beat the sunset and and the chill it brings on.........

It was a great trip! I brought the IPod Touch along and it worked really well while working with ATC. My son uploaded the latest EP(the Open Door) from Deathcab for Cutie the other day. Don't tell him, but I really, really enjoyed it. A little JT, REM, Springsteen and Jimmy Buffett rounded out the playlist.

I gotta tell ya, a sunny afternoon over the frozen Midwest with a Boxer head snoring in your lap, while singing along to the iPod is about as good as it gets!

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 1200+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 20 and Counting
St. Paul, MN
Track me!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:53 PM

Default Nice

Your a good man Peter. Glad there are good people out there willing to volunteer time and skills...makes up for all loooooooooosers that treat a great animal like that. Amazing that a human being could treat a creature like that.

Happy Holidays and Thanks for doing what you do.

Osh 11,12. Sun N Fun 2013. Flew to Cali/up pacific to Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies east across Canada. North to Red Deer Alberta and Moosonee Ontario East to Maritimes Canada. South east to Jekyll Isl on atlantic, Cedar Key and Key West too! 7 islands of Bahamas too! Flown 2 turtles and one dog for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's

Last edited by RickWoodall : 12-30-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 PM

First off Pete- good for you to keep helping out, moreso with cases like this.

I'm surprised he is being moved around like that, i'd think the local DA would like to prosecute for neglect on something like that, and they usually keep the animals around as "evidence".

maybe the couple relinquished him and its on the hush- hush, but people shouldn't be allowed to do that without a little punishment in my opinion.

edit to add- I've actually been accused of neglect, and the legal part is not something i think anyone should go through, without good reason. looking at the hips/ pelvis and ribs, i think there is very good reason to bring charges. i wouldn't be surprised if someone "rescued" him with part of the deal of voluntary relinquishment that LEO aren't involved so its hard on the boxer rescue folks, but something like that should get someone a serious legal talking to.

Last edited by Danny7 : 12-29-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:20 PM

Default A few more pics.....

Loading the Cherokee at EYE. Mike and Tara

Unloading at Red Wing

New Friends!

Skating rink back at the home Aerodrome. Pushing the bird in was quite fun....

Picasa Collage!

See all the pics here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/fly.rv9A/SullyRescue#

Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
St. Paul, MN
Track me!

Last edited by petehowell : 12-29-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 PM

Default Legal Stuff

Danny - No idea on the how the rescue group handled the legal issue, but what he went thru certainly appears criminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny7 View Post
First off Pete- good for you to keep helping out, moreso with cases like this.

I'm surprised he is being moved around like that, i'd think the local DA would like to prosecute for neglect on something like that, and they usually keep the animals around as "evidence".

maybe the couple relinquished him and its on the hush- hush, but people shouldn't be allowed to do that without a little punishment in my opinion.

edit to add- I've actually been accused of neglect, and the legal part is not something i think anyone should go through, without good reason. looking at the hips/ pelvis and ribs, i think there is very good reason to bring charges. i wouldn't be surprised if someone "rescued" him with part of the deal of voluntary relinquishment that LEO aren't involved so its hard on the boxer rescue folks, but something like that should get someone a serious legal talking to.

Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
St. Paul, MN
Track me!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:23 PM

Pete, you are doing a great service there!

It is beyond me how anyone could neglect such a wonderful creature as a Sully! (or any pet for that matter)

I am very happy for Sully and know that he will now be taken care of in the way that I take care of my dogs!

Great work and a greater post!

CJ
Everyday there is an airshow at Hangar #5 at KPYM!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:24 PM

Wow, what a great story. Hope I can find ways to volunteer my time and skills with the airplane when I'm done.....in 1.....3.....5.....10.....or 20 years.

Gathering Tools
Readying the "factory"
N925LC Reserved
Old 12-29-2009, 07:46 PM

There's an organization out there sort of like Angel Flight for Dogs that has these missions to relocate dogs. Unlike Angel Flight, they do allow experimentals. I'm looking into doing some missions.

http://www.pilotsnpaws.org/
Superior XP-IO360 Fwd induction
Catto 3-Blade Prop
Paid Independence Day 2013
Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM

Default I'm in.

Thanks Dan.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:40 PM
RV-7A N614EF

Well done, Pete. Well done. Your decency is inspirational.
N614EF RV-7A (Out of paint shop) #70240
VAF Donation paid. Twice.
Where's N614EF