What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Microair 760 Comm Problems

Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
Hey Everyone,

My Microair 760 stopped working yesterday. It powers up normally and the display looks ok, but I cannot receive or transmit. When on the AWOS frequency, I hear nothing, and when I try a radio check on the CTAF, I get nothing in response from the FBO or other aircraft. The TX red light lights up when I press the PTT on my stick, but no actual transmission. The squelch and volume knobs are adjusted correctly, and when I turn the squelch down, I do hear static as expected.

This happened last week, but it seemed to correct itself when I turned the avionics master off and back on. This time, this procedure is not working.

Any ideas about what my problem might be? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jim

Some added info: I also can hear the faint sound of the strobe lights, and the intercom seems to be working fine.

I had a similar problem with my Garmin SL40. I pulled the unit out and re-seated it into its connector. Worked fine afterwards.

I had a problem with mine, out of the box. It stopped working almost immediately. I sent it back, they replaced the display, sent it to me. Then it crapped out again when installed, I sent it back. They did something else and sent it back. Finally I started fiddling with it and when I wiggled the connector it worked intermittently. So I sent it back again. They reflowed the solder on the board where the connector attaches and it has worked flawlessly since. I told them that the old display they replaced was probably good so they should save it. This was a Canadian authorized repair station in Brantford. The service was good, except that they didn't identify the problem correctly but it was all covered by warranty, but I paid postage one way and there was a considerable delay which was annoying, but what can you do. So there might be a cold or cracked solder joint. MFG defect. It happens.

So do some trouble shooting and try to find the smoking gun before you send it in i.e. connections, wiggling stuff, the usual easy stuff.

My RV-3 came with a Microair 760 that didn't work. I sent it to MicroairUSA Service Centre. The guy only works on Microair 760s and is good and reasonable. Turns out my problem was in the wiring in the plane and it was frying the radios. Phone # (814) 882-2855.

My RV-3 came with a Microair 760 that didn't work. I sent it to MicroairUSA Service Centre. The guy only works on Microair 760s and is good and reasonable. Turns out my problem was in the wiring in the plane and it was frying the radios. Phone # (814) 882-2855.

Thanks, I will reach out to them.

The problem appears to have been the antenna connections. I wiggled the BNC on the back of the radio, which was a 90 degree connector. This seemed to work for a few minutes, but then nothing again. Then I did the same with the BNC on the antenna. The area around it had a lot of dirt and grime which I cleaned up. After reconnecting, everything seems to be working fine. I turned the radio on and off several times as well as the avionics master several times. Still works good. Hopefully, the problem has been solved, but I will have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks to all for the help and the information. The guy at Microairusa was very helpful as well.

Jim

Back